Hamelin the Plagued... What do...?

Black Joker :(

I was thinking the same thing, getting an extra activation due to canine remains that aren't rats so they can "move about the cabin freely..". That is something I saw in game, yes you can move the rats far but once you are out of activations you are at the mercy of the opposing player who saved his best pieces for last... With no retaliation what so ever that isn't a great spot to be in for the hamelin player.

about the tot... i agree its a huge gamble.. If you don't draw a 9+ masks in hands first turn the whole "grow" strategy pretty much goes out the window unless you get lucky.

the biggest "problem" that i see is buying a bunch of out of faction models that you can ONLY use with one list. Unless you play other factions you really can't get mileage out of the miniatures... yes this can be argued both ways i imagine. But coming from a faction where anything but masters/ master totems are interchangeable it just seems "meh"

So have tot kill rat, attempt to grow, use Hamelin to have tot kill another rat so that on turn 2 a young tot can kill another rat, have 2 counters, attempt to mature... Sounds risky and a little slow if you are using CR as they are on the faster side... My concern would be either this plan taking too long to develop while say my opponent grabs objectives or the dependency on high masks... Cereal, testing, saturday... Also picking up the extra minis isn't too much of a worry, I got paid today :D

Tot needs a 9+ to grow. Certainly there is a good chance to get it on turn1 but its a massive gambit. And Hamelin also needs those high s. On the other hand the Tot in itself is a good model for 3 SS. Just don't rely your strategy on maturing it.

I'm also curious about the role of the Canine Remains. Overactivation?

Basically what Magic said. Although, you are correct about the gamble with hoping for that 9+:masks. I has a game against colette where I had 2 tots and it took me 3 turns of trying to cast grow, drawing cards through the wretch, etc and I think I only managed to grow 1 of them to a young by turn 3. Basically if you're going to use tots, and then don't grow by turn 1-2, just say screw it and go with the tot, maybe try to grow it later if you're not engaged, but otherwise you'll waste too much time.

Granted, the number of times you will NOT get that 9+:masks is slim...I just have epic bad luck with cards...all the time...so my situation may just be unique, lol.

When i first heard of the canine remains in the list I though that it was a way to spring board the rats that much farther. Though running the risk of being too far away would still be a fun tactic to catch certain models unawares.

have to agree, having just 1 tot you run the risk of not getting the required cards. Running 2 and expecting them to both get grow off in a game is pretty tough especially if the opponent decides not to cheat purely to deny your draw in some occasions.

Read title and no threads within.

As hamelin

Start with hamelin

Nix

1 Rat Catcher

1 stolen (or two)

And as many rats as possible while still leaving you with 8 SS

(I think in a 35 SS game you get 6 rats, 1 RC, 1 Stolen, and Nix with all 8 soul stones.)

Obedient Wretch is a cool model but the one card per turn is useless really.

Someone is bound to argue that its wrong but ignore them.

Move slow

Rat swarm shouldn't move more than 7" a turn.

Turn 1 have Hamelin take 1 5" wk towards the enemy.

Then summon a Stolen 6" behind him.

Then take another Wk.

For all 3 AP.

If the enemy is Colette / Dreamer / Lilith

Just take 1 Wk and summon a stolen.

Pass on the last AP

Rat Catcher moves 1" behind the swarm, kills them.

Passes if in place.

Never in front of swarm or he deserves to die.

Stolen take no actions but walk

Always walk to models with ranged attacks.

Then if stoeln are in melee ranged they haveto walk and cant attack.

Woot woot.

If they attack they're boned.

Anyway.

Turn 2 and on Hamelin spends all his AP on Understand the soulless.

Try to get their fastest models, then their master.

If their master is Lilith, Dreamer, Seamus or a Victoria, they're more important than fast models.

Once their master / fast models are insignificant, aim for their damage dealers.

If the model is Immune to Influence use your pipes, cheat a mask to trigger Haunting melody.

For your Pipes / Understand the Soulless you are always going to be using Soul Stones.

Period.

Never use soul stones for healing flips / mitigation

Only for making stuff insignificant.

Once your stolen are in the middle of their models go ahead and use abandon to drop Wp

The insignificant doesn't really matter they'll probably drop cards no problem.

Rat swarm takes out lone models

Never use your swarm versus a group of their dudes

Keep nix with Hamelin until a lot of stuff is insignificant

A powerful trick is

After you spread insignificant start casting hamelin's irresistible lure and then use Nix's Emptiness to wreck those models when they're btb with Hamelin.

Obedient Wretch is a cool model but the one card per turn is useless really.

Someone is bound to argue that its wrong but ignore them.

Sandwich's tactic has more holes than a fine cheese. Probably Sandwich are bound to argue that its wrong but ignore him. [Note: You may find little drops of sarcasm in this post.]

Ok so I got a good game in using the list Magic posted:

Hamelin

CR x3

Rat Catcher

Mofo Rat x2

Wretch

Terror Tot

Nix

8 ss

I played against a Seamus 'I lure you list'

Mission flipped was recon, I :) at that

For schemes I took bodyguard Hamelin and grudge.

Long and short in my opening hand I drew a 9 and 13 of Masks so I got grow off quickly on the tot, had a mature on turn 3, and just threw that into a cluster of belles and a convict gunslinger... My opponent didn't like that. I had nix the rat catcher and rats pester one flank, I had the CR run around to claim / contest... I won completing both schemes and thanks to understanding the souless I made enough guys on his side insignificant so I won a few quarters as well... All in all it is a solid list, I had no clue what I was doing and I still got the win!

he was lucky enough to despite taking massive amount of wounds to finally grow to full, obedience to charge then knock aside getting to the bell he needed to for "grudge" I think he either managed to one shot her or bring her down to 1 with a red joker! So in that game despite only doing 1 thing, it was like all the stars aligned and went right... well till a bunch of ghosts laid a beat down on him but still.