Airbrush

thatnicguy

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial or thread regarding airbrush use? Have just got one and had a play around but trial and error is using a lot of paint and propellant, having issues with covering and now spitting a bit. Even if someone has a good paint to water ratio?

After years and years learning my airbrush, I have found there is no magical tutorial that will transform you AND your airbrush into a zen like state.

Practice and experimentation are the keys. . .and buy a GOOD airbrush with a consistent source of air. A compressor with regulator can be purchased at a big box DIY for the price of a box of figures.

I've been reading some about air brushes here and on other forums and I am just curious about them. Is there anything that an air brush will let me do that would justify the cost and learning curve? Does one have to set up an elaborate painting booth in order to use one indoors?

There are a number of 40k blogs doing airbrush articles right now. N++ has a good starter series and links to more.

Airbrushes for Malifaux mini's I think pay the most dividends in terrain building. They are a great tool for base coating many models in the same color, they are a great tool for priming and using a zenithal priming technique. Since most Malifaux models are painted as individuals, not as mass units, the model painting value for Malifaux is limited.

That being said, as I mentioned for terrain they are awesome. Base coats, highlights, depth, the whole nine.

You do not need a spray both indoors if you are spraying acrylics. If you spray anything other than acrylics you will want a spray booth.

You will want a screen (I use foamcore) to spray against, and to catch overspray. You will still want to wear a mask (something that screen particulates, fume mask is not necessary for acrylics) and work in a well ventilated area.

If you're working in a garage I recommend a tool compressor. If your working in an apartment you'll want something quieter.

See I have said it for years, some people are natrually gifted. Very nice stuff! As to your earlier problems, there are a few tricks.

1. If your brush is spitting Clean it.

2. I know certain people hate it but milk is about the only way to describe how thin your paints should be with an air brush, to elabroate, the transparency.bi

Now to the tips

wind dex is a air brushers best friend. Best paint thinner around can allowing flush your brush with it after use. Honestly beyond that I think your beyond me. I reccomend going to a tread head model builder fourm those guys are so far ahead of us,mini painters stuff we flip out about they have done for years

sorry replying on phone so auto. Correct might highjack