Measuring beginer's question

Vinncent

Question

15 answers to this question

hi,

what can i measure before declare any actions?

it's only melee range?

You don't measure melee range either.

The sequences of actions are somewhat different than in other games - typically you check the LoS, declare the target, measure the distance and only then perform the action, whether it is a melee strike, magic cast or some other ability.

However there are exceptions and special situations where you may end up targeting models out of LoS or out of range (for example randomized shooting into melee).

You'll be best off if you play a few preparatory games with the Rules Manual in your hand, checking the sequence of actions for every move you want to make. And try to remember the timing rules from page 6 - they are very important, when it comes to resolving complex actions and interruptions.

Melee range can be measured at any time, this is especially relevant for determining if a model is engaged. I also allow measuring of any effective auras at my lgs.

That's not exact. You have explicit permission to measure if you are engaged in melee at any time (page 39), but when it comes to melee strike, you must follow the sequence on the page 42, which not only states that you measure after declaring the target, but also is titled "Declare the target, then Check Range".

It seems that does create some contradiction between these two rules, but I think the specific rule trumps the general rule is the usual approach to untangling such things.

Therefore, the way I read it is that the permission to check if the model is in melee at any time still requires the player to be told by the rules he had to check if the model was in melee range (can do it at any time, but only when required by the rules to know if there's a melee range - for example when shooting into melee or when moving past or away from enemy model and a possibility of Disengaging Strike arises). Otherwise the Strike sequence restrictions would be meaningless.

Edited by Q'iq'el

Melee range can be checked at any time... You can say "Can I check if I'm in melee" and check it before you declare the strike.

This came up before with the Dreamer's Shadowy Form, it was ruled that as you could check the melee range before making the strike a Teddy that was in 3" of the Dreamer but out of your melee range wasn't a valid target so you could punch the little brat in the face to your hearts content.

Edited by Ratty

I see.

That makes the Strike Duel Sequence somewhat confusing (and irrelevant). It goes so far as to put the order into the section title (which seems to stress the importance), while the general rule page earlier basically nullifies the sequence (I guess it is still important for :ranged strikes, but before the mechanic was uniform for all the strikes, wasn't it?).

The way I suggested you'd still be allowed to check what is in the melee with what, if you need to, but not before declaring the target and checking the range to it.

Clearly I'm stuck in the old ruleset way of thinking. :(

Same with Auras you can check them at any time.

Are you sure this is right? I don't see any mention of it in the Rules Manual. I always assumed you only measured when it actually mattered whether a model was in the aura or not. For example, if a Steampunk Arachnid has an active Disruption Field, when a nearby model declares it is going to cast a spell you then measure to see if it is in the aura.

Are you sure this is right? I don't see any mention of it in the Rules Manual. I always assumed you only measured when it actually mattered whether a model was in the aura or not. For example, if a Steampunk Arachnid has an active Disruption Field, when a nearby model declares it is going to cast a spell you then measure to see if it is in the aura.

sorry. I don't know how I got that one wrong. I'm sure it came up before. But you are totally right. Auras can only be checked when they are originally created or when it matters.

so, where can i find this information in the Rulebook?, because i found only this:

"You must declare an action prior to measuring the distance required for the action", page 13 (first Rulebook);

and

"There is no premeasuring in Malifaux. You must declare an action and spend the required AP prior to measuring the distance required for the action. Distances are not rounded when halving them", page 6 (Rules Manual).

p39

• Models in range of an enemy’s melee Weapon, or with an enemy model within their melee Weapon range, are said to be engaged in melee, or engaged. Models may check their melee range to confirm whether they are engaged with or engaging enemy models at any time.