Instant Mold

ispep

Has anyone given this stuff a try? I just picked some up from work, I'm hoping it will make creating the bases for my Dreamer crew easier.

Any tips/tricks, other than your usual mold making stuff? I'm guessing it won't handle undercuts or detail very well. What about a release agent? I'll probably use GS or Milliput for the "casting".

http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/tools-and-misc/instant-mold.html

I got some of this a few months ago , it works just like they say. I've made all kinds of stuff with it. From plasma rifles to bases.

I use procreate and green stuff with it , if you make sure to leave it alone long enough for the putty to harden you wont need a release.

Works best for flat textures , a little trickier with two sided mold like a plasma rifle , but it can be done.

Then when you need a new mold just boil some water.

I love this stuff , and recomend it for every serious hobbiest to have a pack in their toolbox.

Would also suggest the sample brick stamp from happy seppuku http://www.happyseppuku.com/Stamps.html

Edited by muribundi
I cant spell

I've heard good things about it. I almost bought some yesterday but for some reason didn't. As for bases don't waste money on hobby stuff. Get a can of Durham's rock putty or if you like chemicals get bondo or a fiberglass resin. Although I'm not sure how the stuff would handle the solvents in the latter two.

So far the stuff is working out pretty good. Time for crappy cell phone pictures!

The original base:

062211012624-1.jpg

(Yes, those are BBs)

And the copied version:

062211012643-1.jpg

Its a little tough getting the balls filled with green stuff without air bubbles, but not too bad. It takes a surprising amount of GS to fill a 30 mm base. What I've done with that one was cleaned up the not-quite-full bottom, and then cut the center out of a base and puttied it it.

For those who are wondering, I'm planning ball pit bases for my dreamer crew =oD

I also tried copying one of my brick/cobblestone bases.

Original:

062211012737-1.jpg

Copy 1:

062211012801-1.jpg

Copy 2:

062211012822-2.jpg

For these ones, I put enough GS in to capture the details, and then crammed a base into the hole. One this helped mush everything into the mold, two it used a whole lot less GS, and 3 the tops aren't going to come unglued from the bases.

Yeah it is surprising how much greenstuff fills the mould, they look good though, the way you have done you brick/cobblestones is pretty well exactly how I did mine, pop it in, wait for it to sure, pop out and then trim excess.

I want some!! Can you get from anywhere local or places other than coolmini? Not that it's a bad price or anything!

I want some!! Can you get from anywhere local or places other than coolmini? Not that it's a bad price or anything!

Its actually a repackaged product with a significant mark up. It can be found under the brand name "Friendly Plastic", "Polymorph", and some Japanese name, Omayau or something. There is some discussion about it on Warseer and TGN, just do a google search for Instant Mold and check out some of the links.

The proper name of the stuff is polycaprolactone.

I remember when I first saw the youtube video for the reusable mold stuff, I was so impressed and at the same time so pissed that the guy wasn't being very careful with how he molded things with it (e.g. stretching and deforming a sheet of textured material he was going to put on a base.... WHY NOT MOLD IT ON THE BASE?!?!

~J~

I picked up a container of InstaMorph, price was far better than the Instant Mold from CMON. It is opaque and hard when it cools unlike the Instant Mold.

I haven't really had a chance to make anything from the InstaMorph yet. Trying to find a place to get epoxy putty that doesn't charge as much for shipping as they do the product.