Malifaux Rats/Slow Question

Atticus

Based on my reading of the tactica it seems that the following tactic works, but I cannot find the support in the Rules Manual. It may have been answered in the Rules forum, but I couldn't find it there either.

Malifaux Rats are slow. If a rat is killed within 6" or Hamlin or a Rat Catcher a new rat is summoned. Summoned figures are slow on the turn that they are summoned. So a strict reading of those would say that a summoned rat would have 0 AP. My first thought was that the same effect doesn't stack, but I don't see that spelled out for Slow, just a general rule that the same effect from the same source doesn't stack. To me these aren't from the same source.

However, the tactica on Hamlin references activating rats, having the rat catcher use the kill rats ability and activating the newly summoned rats. So help me out justifying this or am I wrong? If I'm wrong, not sure if I see the point in having the rat catcher kill rats and rats become very slow.

You're correct in assuming that identical abilities, powers, spells, etc... do NOT stack.

Since the rats are already slow by nature, when summoned, they have one (1) action they can do.

Essentially, you can activate a swarm of rats, do their thing, get them killed/sac 'em and then pop out more rats that can then activate ad nauseum.

It's pretty stupid actually.

I guess the trick is to kill Nix, the catchers and the stolen as quickly as possible and then go for Hamlin. Or do your best to ignore them all and go for your objectives.

Either way, I think Hamlin needs a huge Cuddling. He is not fun to play against.

Slow does not Stack...

Only iif a Model has Fast youz can give it 2 times slow.. since the first Slow cancels Fast... the second Slaow effect gives -1 AP.

2 Different Effects for slow here...

Yeah, I saw that wording, I just didn't see anything that said that multiple slows do not stack. They aren't technically from the same source, one is a characteristic and the other is from being summoned. I was pretty sure that was the way they were intended to work, but it will probably get questioned at our tourney this weekend, so I wanted something to point to.

page 34 in the Rules Manual... 2nd sentence..

so slow and slow does not stack beeing Superslow or two times slow or somewhat...

Thankyou for finding this, I asked almost the same question in the Henchman thread about two weeks ago. I do seem to remember a thread (prior to the new rules manual) that said otherwise but can't for the life of me find it.

Whats weird is, it seems at odds with what is on page 20 under stacking effects (i.e. Do stack when listed as [name] +/-, such as Armor +1, even if they have the same name. The subtitle of On-going game effects is the subtle distinction.

The difference here is that it is an action modifier not an effect.

Armour is +1 and can stack as it is an effect with an + or -.

Action modifiers don't stack. So you cant for instance have a Fast model (+1) and have Student of conflict give it a further (+1).

However, Slow cancels out Fast, so you can give a Fast model Slow, they cancel each other out so the model is not affected by either now. It can then be affected by a further Slow or a new source of Fast.

Hope that helps clarify, and supports previous posts on this subject.