Bayou Showdown

ispep

For this weeks league game, it looks like I'm going to be going against the other Gremlin player. I'm not really sure of his playstyle, so I don't know really what to expect.

My playstyle is horrible. I absolutely suck at this game, in particular with the little green guys (0-4-1 in the league, with 2 of the loses being total blow outs).

Last week I ran this list:

Outcasts Crew - 35 - Scrap

Som'er Teeth Jones
--
1 Cache

2 Giant Mosquitos [4ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Gremlin Taxidermist
    [6ss]

• Pigapult
    [4ss]

• Piglet
    [3ss]

• Piglet
    [3ss]

• Piglet
    [3ss]

• Piglet
    [3ss]

against Pandora. It was 2vp-1vp, at the end of the game I had a Bayou Gremlin remaining. Get Yer Bro was unimpressive, only got it off 2 or 3 times, leaving corpse counters for the Taxidermist. The Taxidermist got Taxidermin' off once on that pile of corpse counters. I launched a couple pigs, but once teddy got into base with the Pigapult, it was the end of that.

I have all of the Gremlin stuff, how should I use it at 35 points?

I like to hire hog whisperer, even without pigs, just to have survival of the fittest closer to the action then Som'er gets.

I've also found that a slop hauler in your summoning circle is extremely helpful, use git your bro on two gremlins, then use slop hauler to heal all four. Can also heal Som'er from Reckless Wds

I think part of the reason for the lose was the match up. Gremlins hate Pandora as she attacks their lowest stat - WP. Best thing to do against her is bombard her with pulses (Oopsie, Pull my Finger etc).

Same goes for Gremlins really. Bombard them with pulses and blasts, knock lots out quickly.

With a force like that, I would drop at least 2 piglets for additional Gremlins. (That would get you 3 Gremlins.)

Mashimartian has a good idea, too.

If you go with Dumb Luck's suggestion (which would be a variation of the Alpha Stank trick), I'd change the list to get 4 Mosquitoes.

In any case, I've found the best thing to do with my Gremlins is to spam down as many of whatever my main 'troop type' is going to be as I can. (Don't forget the Taxidermist can make Stuffed Piglets out of Corpse Counters...)

Whenever I've tried to do a generalist approach with them, I've gotten stomped.

Whatever you do, don't get discouraged with them quickly. The Gremlins are tough to play, but once you find a play style with them that works for you, they're loads of fun.

(Actually, they're a lot of fun anyway, so long as you're willing to get silly with them. I drive my opponents nuts with bad accents and silly voices whenever I play my Gremlins.) :laugh:

I hadn't thought of using the Slop Hauler as a medic, the games I've taken him I'm always trying to reduce the opponents Df (usually to little or no effect). The thing is, I already have so much stuffed into a small area, its already a big target for AoE effects

Pandora herself wasn't that much of an issue, she spent nearly the whole game back in a corner. She killed one piglet that I threw over there to get a range estimate. It was Teddy and the Stitched Togethers that really did a number on my crew.

Hrm, I'm thinking one of your main problems is that your list is a little too unfocused. Don't get me wrong I like a decent hybrid list as much as the next guy but the Taxidermist and the Pigapult really need some tailoring to make effective IMO.

If you want to run them, I'd convert those Piglets into Stuffed Piglets for starters to have some opening ammo. And you probably don't need 4 of them to start. Just 2 maybe in case you fail to create more in the opening rounds due to some bad draws etc. That would free up 6ss right there. You could either use that to get yourself a Slop Hauler and another Bayou Gremlin, or use those 6ss + 1ss from your Cache to get a Hog Whisperer and another Bayou Gremlin.

That would give you a decent gunline while still preserving the barrage of the Taxidermist + Pigapult (giving you a decent hybrid list I think). You can have your back/core group summoning/launching stuffed piggies as: Som'er, 1x BG, 1x Skeeter, Tax, Piggies, and Pigapult. Then you'd have 4x BGs, 1x Skeeter, and either your Whisperer or Hauler to form a "forward" offensive group.

Edited by Darguth