Hex and Does Not Die

wrabbit37

Question

So I tried searching the forum for rulings on this, but unfortunately all the words are either too short or too common, so my search came back with nothing.

Here's the situation that came up in a game last night - want to make sure we ruled it correctly. A Stitched Together has already been killed and triggered Does Not Die. If Zoraida uses Hex to get rid of Does Not Die, does the Stitched Together not get sacrificed at the end of the turn, or does the effect that sacrifices him at the end of the turn stick around?

As an extension to that, can something like a Witchling Stalker get rid of the effect that would sacrifice him at the end of the round with Dispel Magic?

11 answers to this question

I would believe that once Does Not Die has been activated the sacrificed at end of turn effect will stick around even if you Hex off Does Not Die.

Hexing it off only results in the Stitched being killable before that time.

If you, however, have a Witchling Stalker to Dispel the sacrificed at end of turn, then yes death/sacrifice would be avoidable.

Hmmmm it looks like it would remain in play if you Hexed off Does Not Die! after it had already kicked in.

Does not die restores it to 1 Wd each time you would kill it and then would Sac it at the end of the turn. But if you Hex off Does Not Die then it is just left with 1 Wd remaining.

For the Stalker, I don't think he can because it's not so much an effect that goes active but just part of one of the talents. Atleast that's how I'm inclined to read it...

I guess the question boils down to a simple thing:

1. does Does Not Die! when it goes off apply an effect to the Stitched Together that is the actual thing responsible for it being gacked at the end of the turn.
  2. Or does the Talent just do it it's self and there is no applied effect.

2 seems the answer to me and that would mean Hex can save a Stitched Together if used at the right time. But if 1 is correct, then Hex can't save the Stitched Together but a Witchling Stalker could.

I reckon it's closer to option 1 considering the wording of the effect that stops it being buried... I reckon it applies the 'does not die' effect to the model evey time it's killed (and so if hexed off the model would still be sacced at the end of turn, but you could dispel or whatever the effect whether it's hexed or not).

Does not Die restores your model to 1 Wd and then places an effect on it that sacrifices it at the end of the turn and stops the model being sacrificed or buried. If you remove Does not Die it would not remove the effect so you would still be sacrificed at the end of the turn. However the model could now be shot and killed outright. If you Dispelled the effect you would not be sacrificed at the end of the turn.

There we go.

So it does place an effect on you. Thank you Ratty ;)

So if you can find some way to clear the effect off then you can save your Stitched Together. I can't recall anything in NB that can clear an effect off the top of my head... for the best though.

So if you Hexed off Does not Die you could Bury the Stitched so it would not be sacrificed at the end of the turn?

No.. Because like the 'sacrificed at end of turn' is an effect, so is the 'cannot be sacrificed or buried untill then' - Hex does not remove temporary effects from models, it removes permanent talents/spells.