Dreamer + Shadowy Form = New Wording!

karn987

• 1 month later...

So if you are shooting the Dreamer with a 10" gun and the Dreamer is 9" away and there is a Daydream 3" behind him, so 12" away and out of the gun range. Do you have to still try for the Daydream? Or if your in melee with the Dreamer but not with the Daydream do you have to try and swing at the Daydream?

Are you sure about that? Targets are declared before range is determined, for ranged attacks, at least. Maybe for melee (can't remember if you can always check your melee range during activation, or if that's just Warmachine) they'd both have to be in range.

Being out of range doesn't mean it isn't a legal target, just that you're going to miss.

That said, the wording doesn't say "you have to target the nightmare" it says, "you may not target the Dreamer."

I may be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Are you sure about that? I may be wrong, but that's how I read it.

I think you are right. In melee the range can always be measured, so you know before targeting whether the target is legal or not. Therefore Dreamer can be targeted by a melee strike if the DD isn't in melee range of the attacker. However for shooting a legal target is only one you have LoS to, but this doesn't involve being in range for the purpose of targeting. So ennemy would declare Dreamer as target, then shadowy form is activated and the target is now the DD. Then the range would be checked and if DD is out of range the action fizzles.

I think it's like this :)

EDIT: it's further confirmed by Keltheos here

Edited by poulpox

Nice to know, thanks for the digging Poulpox! Dreamer players will be happy to realize this after they just got finished getting used to it being ruled the opposite way >.>

For any who follow the wiki, this is going to be held off from the wiki for now untill the Errata/FAQ is updated from Wyrd. There are becoming to many things to try and track and stuff is getting through the cracks. Just wanted to give people fair warning on it. :)

Edited by karn987

Nice to know, thanks for the digging Poulpox! Dreamer players will be happy to realize this after they just got finished getting used to it being ruled the opposite way >.>

For any who follow the wiki, this is going to be held off from the wiki for now untill the Errata/FAQ is updated from Wyrd. There are becoming to many things to try and track and stuff is getting through the cracks. Just wanted to give people fair warning on it. :)

+1

Really need a current FAQ and Errata Page. Impossible for people to know all the single rulings floating about.

I wonder why they would bother changing this if they had already ruled on it?