Nicodem 25ss

It looks ok but I'd not start with a Punk Zombie. They're rather fragile for Readers, and they are much more effective if summoned into the fray. Consider a Rotten Belle or Crooked Man in its place.

The Belle gives you a very resilient model with Lure, allowing you to bring an opposing model into your swarm to kill, leaving a corpse within 6" of Nicodem.

The Crooked Man brings some board control in the form of Shaft markers, as well as good ranged threat by way of his ranged spell. Also, don't underestimate the Crooked Man's melee trigger, as Paralyzed is one of the best debuffs you can toss out.

Just wanted to second the 'don't start with punk zombies' opinion. You are much better starting with some range. You won't have any problem getting some on the table since you are bringing Mort along. Save the one SS and bring a Crooked Man or Rotten Belle.

I would go so far to say remove the Convict Gunslinger as well. He is a good model, but the Crooked Men are more resilient with Nico (Df 8 against ranged, better blast damage survivability) and can help take out swarms with their blast markers. The icing on the cake is that you save 2 more SS. That is another Canine, or maybe a Necropunk if you need the speed.

I'd go with:

Nicodem

Grave Spirit 1ss

Mortimer 7ss

Crooked Man 4ss

Rotten Belle 4ss

Dogs x3 6ss

Soulstone Cache - 6ss

I like to dig up corpses on turn one and two, then make a Flesh Construct on turn two and link the Grave Spirit. This gives a very good brick to stop your opponent, and with the SS's the Grave Spirit can do some decent casts on Rigor Mortis.

I caught LCB on the table the other day and was able to use the totem to Paralyze him so Nico + SS could paralyze the Dreamer. It stopped the Nightmare craziness in it's tracks.

Ugh haha

Ressers are not ranged!

Nico

Morty 7

Punk Zombie 5

Rotten Belle 4

2 Dogs 4

2 Vultures 4

4 Soulstones

Your job as a Resser is to out activate people...that is just what we do, and we do it well.

You have a lot of easy to kill models, yes...but if you keep them within 10" of Nico, they should have an average of 7 defense, which means your enemy will have to burn more cards to hit them.

You have The Fog to buffer out ranged attacks, Crooked Men are wonderful for this if your opponent is using it.

I've always voted Rigor Mortis above Decay. Nico is a support caster and so he should be using Decay for healing more than hurting. If you manage to catch something in a blast, cool...but don't try to waste all your AP killing something with it when your Belle/PZ Combo can do more damage.

If you know you can finish off something with Decay, then by all means, do it!

That's another Mindless Zombie for you, and they are pretty nice.

Slinging out Paralyze is a lot more effective, or at least it has been for me. You can stop a model for a whole turn with it and it also stops Slow to Die and things like that.

All in all, this crew is pretty average for whatever you want to do. The Vultures excel if the opponent's crew is more into melee than ranged.

Actually the proper way of using Decay is to cast it on the opponent so that your own models get caught in the blast and healed. Healing is binary - no matter how hard you hit, you always heal the same. Damage can be spiked up though, so it's worth having opponent in the center.

Obviously it's situational, but since we're speaking about catching things in the blast, that's the way to do it. The only possible reason for targeting own model would be a very weak hand (so that you can cheat the Resist down and hope to get the blast off even from a poor flip).

Coincidentally that is why you definitely want to bring two Vultures - for working the angles. One is good enough, sometimes, but two give more flexibility (one can be grabbing corpse counters or both can be working angles for Nico).

Of course I agree Rigor Mortis is Nico's most important spell. It's just that the cards are not always there and sometimes you have to heal the minions - when you do, do it so that the opponent suffers the most from the Decay.

That's why I use Decay for healing...yeah, it's always 2 points for your minions but there are usually a lot of low cards in my hand.

I use two or none for just that reason. One vulture helps me see past obstacles, I try to have a large cache though. The other nabs counters.

Also...if you're starting Nico, remember you get to draw cards for the number of counters you used when you cast Reanimator!!

I had my first game with nic, I took:

Nic

2x Vultures 4ss

Mort 7ss

belle 4ss

2x Crooked 8ss

+2ss =25ss

I was playing the Kin gremlins. The vultures were great, first activation was to move one in and use eyes and ears, then had nic duble cast decay killing off young uns and a slop hauler and making 3 mindless before he activated, then tried to riggormortis ophilia but missed. but from there he was on tender hooks as he's lost 3 valuable models and had to deal with 3 zombies in his line. I would suggest trying a suicide vulture if your hand lets it. especially if he lets you get 2 models under a blast.