Getting my first outcasts...

Seamus's BFF

So I thought I'd pick up a new box with my birthday money and here's the problem... Which box do I pick up? I like all of the outcast boxes (minus the gremlins I like them but I'm just not in the mood to paint them at the moment) but I'm torn about whether to get the friekorps, victoria's, or Leveticus. I'm leaning toward levi because I love the desolation engine but he seems like he'd be the hardest to play.

Thoughts or opinions please,

Chad

Leveticus is probbaly the hardest/most confusing to play of those three, and he has the greatest range of models to draw from ( Although from your forum name you possibly have several of them already).

Friekorps will be fairly uniform in painting, and play well together.

Victorias are very individual, and the box set itself is rarely played in that combination.

I personally really like mixing the friekorps with the Victorias for crew purposes, giving you a long term aim to work towards. But if you already have a lot of undead models, then they work well with Leveticus giving you good choice with no extra outlay.

Meh, not much time and I'm feeling lazy, so I'll link what I posted in the other thread as it basically applies the same.

Each Master has their own benefits.

Hamelin - He's not going to be cheap to buy models for, but he is incredibly powerful, and lets face it, there are some crews out there that are going to find it damn near impossible to beat him unless they have lots of experience playing against him (and sometimes, in the case of crews like Ophelia, they simply can't beat him at all). As I said though, if cost is a factor, you'll need at least 2 more packs of rats, a pack of catchers, and a pack of stolen to make him work, not exactly easy on the walet.

Levi - One of (if not THE) most powerful ranged casters in the game. His ability to kill just about anything in 2-3 spells, and his crews immense versatility make him a strong choice. However, unless you know exactly what you want to run with him, trying out different options can get expensive. Additionally, he is a tough master to learn and has a lot of abilities and traits that you need to stay on top of to make him run efficiently.

Mercs - I lump VonSchill and the Viks into the Mercs category because, really, you'll want both (not necessarily both full boxes, but definitely Von Shill himself and the 2 Viks +/- some Freikorps/traditional Mercs). Though they don't have as wide a range of options as Leveticus, the Mercs are designed for versatility and they can field units to suit any situation. They are fairly straightforward and tend to rely less on trickery and subterfuge than some crews.

If you don't want to spend a ton of cash, and want a crew that's easy to jump into go Mercs. If you have time to learn Levi to his fullest potential and understand what works best with him, go Levi. If you want to be a total douche-nozzle in tournaments go Hamelin, but beware the potential price tags on Levi and Hamelin.

I bought Levi yesterday and a desolation engine. I also own the Lucius box set (gift for a friend who then admitted that he just wasn't interested in malifaux's setting... poop), and the seamus box set. Now it's just figuring out how to get the stuff to work lol. Thanks for the advice everyone!