Air Brush kits

Imperial Arm

Try the advice in this thread on OzPainters:

http://mainlymedieval.com/ozpainters/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3738

To provide a bit of my very limited experience, I used the abovew thread when deciding. Along with the extremely knowledgable and helpful Gavin, from Irresistible Force I was able to purchase everything I needed to begin airbrushing over the weekend at AUSCON.

Further, http://www.akaranseth.com/blog/tutorial ... gurine.htm

If you have just purchased an airbrush and are looking to learn, please consider this tute.

Don't go cheap.

Look for good advice and get the exactly right one from the start.

A lot of people think they'd get cheap set for the starters, just to learn, but the truth of airbrushing is that the cheap ones are so hard to use you can't learn with them.

A lot of money can be saved on compressor though, if you want. Many of the compressors available on the market from respectable airbrush makers are in fact OEM products from Taiwan, China or Central Europe, customized and packed to be resold under a new brand. If you locate the original manufacturer, you can order these things for fraction of the price.

Edited by Q'iq'el

Don't go cheap.

Look for good advice and get the exactly right one from the start.

A lot of people think they'd get cheap set for the starters, just to learn, but the truth of airbrushing is that the cheap ones are so hard to use you can't learn with them.

A lot of money can be saved on compressor though, if you want. Many of the compressors available on the market from respectable airbrush makers are in fact OEM products from Taiwan, China or Central Europe, customized and packed to be resold under a new brand. If you locate the original manufacturer, you can order these things for fraction of the price.

Mine was not cheap, nor was it particularly expensive.

$90 for the airbrush (which according the my teacher is designed exactly how Iwata used to be, it only weighs more than a current Iwata and is 25% of the price. Not only this, but since Runway 13 are Aussie, I am not paying ridiculous shipping for a replacement needle or other part if needed down the track.

Also, depending what you want the airbrush for, a cheap version may just suit you.

I am a learner, but I hope to increase my skills beyond basecoating, weathering and terrain to include progressive highlighting and OSL... maybe even mini scripture and detailed effects. Which is why I didnt order a less expensive brush from Ebay.

I have an Iwata set up. A gravity feed for fine detail (approx $90 us) and a siphon feed for terrain (Approx $80)

Both are dual action. Be sure to get a dual action brush. A single action brush is MUCH harder to use to good effect.

Also, get a compressor with a tank. Yes they are much more expensive but they are worth every penny.

I'd like to humbly contradict most of the advice here. I'd suggest starting "cheap" - Badger 350 is a good beginner brush.

It's tough, you're not going to bend anything while cleaning it, nor will it easily clog.

True, it won't do fine detail - but neither will you when just starting out ! :D

Then, after using it for a few months, you will have a better idea what you want / need - then go buy the "good" one.

You can still use the first one for priming, etc.

I'd like to humbly contradict most of the advice here. I'd suggest starting "cheap" - Badger 350 is a good beginner brush.

It's tough, you're not going to bend anything while cleaning it, nor will it easily clog.

True, it won't do fine detail - but neither will you when just starting out ! :D

Then, after using it for a few months, you will have a better idea what you want / need - then go buy the "good" one.

You can still use the first one for priming, etc.

Where did you buy a cheap Badger?

They start at $400 here in AUS

AvatarForm - just the Badger 350 - external mix, single action

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Badger_350.asp

If people are being charge $400 AUS, I need to get in the export business !

Oh... you didnt get an airbrush, you basically bought a spray gun.

Unless it is dual action, you will never learn anything significant.

Dual-action is all about learning air flow and paint flow mix control.

Single action brushes basically replace a can of Army Painter... the only advantage is continuous pressure that a can lacks as it empties.

Well....it's up to the original poster what he wants but I stand by my advice. Start with a single action - fewer variables to worry about.

But regardless of what people pick, I highly recommend they try it. The quality of finish you get and way better control over a spray can makes them highly worthwhile.

I'm in the UK, so it's a UK site but I've used the BD 132 airbrush shown on this page:

http://www.airbrush-pro.co.uk/index1.html

Here's the most recent thing I did with it

Falcon2.jpg

Prior to this I'd really only used it for basecoating but clearly you can get blends going with it. I'll be trying to scale this down to a 28mm figure for my next efforts and reckon it won't be too difficult with the airbrush I've got which is priced at £17 (~$25-30).

Obviously there is the requirement for a compressor and other parts on top of that but I only spent ~£90 on the whole kit.

I'm in the UK, so it's a UK site but I've used the BD 132 airbrush shown on this page:

http://www.airbrush-pro.co.uk/index1.html

Here's the most recent thing I did with it

Falcon2.jpg

Prior to this I'd really only used it for basecoating but clearly you can get blends going with it. I'll be trying to scale this down to a 28mm figure for my next efforts and reckon it won't be too difficult with the airbrush I've got which is priced at £17 (~$25-30).

Obviously there is the requirement for a compressor and other parts on top of that but I only spent ~£90 on the whole kit.

That is a beautiful effect, mate.

I only wish I had my airbrush when I painted my craftworld eldar.