Investing in Brushes

ThePandaDirector

Eric: I'm interested to know what range of Vallejo paints you used, was it Game Color or Model Color? I find Game Color doesn't water down too well, but I'm a huge fan of the Model Color range. It's highly pigmented, waters down extremely well and goes on smoothly. The only downside is it's not very durable and can rub off easily, meaning you always need to varnish the model unless it's purely for display.

For those of you who like the GW foundation range because of the high pigment levels you should give Model Color a try. Not only is the paint cheaper, but you have over 200 different colours to pick from.

And to get back on topic - brushes. I have used W&N Series 7's (normal and miniature versions) for years and have to sing their praises, although I have had a couple of dud's recently that began to split within weeks.

I have also been using Rosemary & Co (UK based company) and although not quite to the standard of the Series 7's they are exceptional for the price and I'm impressed with them so far.

I was speaking of game color. I actually have a different problem with model color, which is what you speak of, that it rubs off too easily. My issue there is when I'm doing a lot of very watered down layers, the layers don't have a very strong bonding agent, so there were times that my new layer was chipping away at a lower layer, and leaving a blend that wasn't smooth due to it.

Both ranges are good paints, but they both have reasons why they simply don't work for my style of painting, where as I can see them working great for other styles.

I actually find that Model Color doesn't water down well at all. It begins to separate long before the thinness that I typically get from Citadel, and it's horrible to try and base a wash on.

I still use it for my Flames of War, since their color range is so much better for military models, but for 28mm with more detailed highlights and blending I've moved over to Citadel.

I have 7 different W&N Kolinski brushes and can admit that sizes 0,1,2 are great. However, the smaller brushes dont hold paint long enough for fine detail work, with the paint drying on the brush before it hits the surface.

Though, with brush cleaners (Ie. masters, liquitex) I expect these brushes will outlast cheaper alternatives, while maintaining a higher standard.

I believe no amount of skill can eplace a reliable tool.

It may also be psychological, but I feel more confident when using higher-grade materials and tools.

I actually find that Model Color doesn't water down well at all. It begins to separate long before the thinness that I typically get from Citadel, and it's horrible to try and base a wash on.

I still use it for my Flames of War, since their color range is so much better for military models, but for 28mm with more detailed highlights and blending I've moved over to Citadel.

Buhallin, you dont need to thin VGC. It is designed this way. The reason you get 17ml, not 12ml, is because it is already thin enough to paint right on. Though I have proven that you can use the 'glaze' technique with these paints just fine.

Im also not sure why you wish to "base a wash" on these paints, especially when there are already sufficient washes available.

Though, for foundation paints I use Citadel Foundations. Nothing beats these. However, I am thinking of buying the P3 set for the fine blends, complimentary colours and unique pigments.

Anyone tried the P3 range of brushes? I am looking into these as my GW ones expire and thoughts are appreciated.

D.

As per many of the above replies:

Invest in higher-quality brushes and take care of them.

GW and lesser (not necessarily cheaper) options die too easily. Often not lasting more than a few months without exploding and losing their tips.

Just another vote here for the Vallejo paints - I use a few GW colours but still prefer Vallejo.

As far as brushes go, if there is an art store in your area, keep an eye on the brushes for sales. My local store seems to cycle through them for sales so if you can wait a bit, can usually get something good at a good price.

Buhallin, you dont need to thin VGC. It is designed this way. The reason you get 17ml, not 12ml, is because it is already thin enough to paint right on. Though I have proven that you can use the 'glaze' technique with these paints just fine.

Well, part of it is that I'm not using VGC ;) I use MODEL color, which is typically thicker and heavier right out of the bottle. I don't think I've ever had any of my VMC come out of the dropper ready to paint without at least some thinning, and it tends to separate. It works better with thinner or glaze medium than water, but still not great.

For paints, I've been using GW paints mostly (their Foundation, washes and metalics are awesome) due to them being the most convenient to get for me. That said, i have a few bottles of Vallejo that I do like, and some Reaper Model Series paints. I can't really say any one brand is better than the others in general, and I tend to just get whatever is cheaper unless there's a specific color I need to replicate.

Just started using the Daler rowney system 3 85 range after upgrading from the gamesworkshop brushes give great feel and much better control and at £3ish a brush doesn't break the bank brought the 2,1 and 0, so far only used the 2 due to the control being so good, also advise to use a wet palette built one today with a takeaway box, kitchen roll and baking parchment. 2 hours later and the paint was still thin enough to lay it down nice and thin.