Off Topic Playground

Can't remember the specifics, but there was a game that ended up being scrapped by the guy that ran the project. Mostly because he admitted he didn't know what he was doing. The guys that wrote the rules were older hands, but they were just writers. They were a bit annoyed as he hadn't told them anything, and they were debating releasing the rules anyway if I remember right.

...oh, that's something to be worried about. Ick. That's depressing...

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

Does reinforce my desire to stick with established companies...which is a problem for the idea of kickstarter in general.

Yeah. Kickstarter has allowed a lot of people to start up games, which is good, but a number of them don't know how to actually run a business, or deal with all the stuff to actually make something that complex happen. Which will hurt the ones that need it even more than big companies doing kickstarters when they don't need the money to do it.

Yeah...KS is starting to hurt its own successes. That's honestly one of the big things that's kept me away from Mantic's ones. They seem to be trying to turn KS into their business model, and I have problems with that. When you're as big as them, you should be doing a good job with what you already have so you can invest in new stuff...not just put up Preorders: The Kickstarter everytime you have a new idea.

Yup. They're abusing it horribly, just to take all the risk out of every project. They don't worry if it fails, as they're big enough to not notice the failure and don't lose capital.

The knock on effect being that people expect massive amounts of free stuff from small companies that can't afford to run it at a loss.