Off Topic Playground

And no I have not read those.

---------- Post added at 03:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

The best part about Darman for me was that he always knew what he was doing, his story was so rich. Especially when he has to protect that young padawan for a while.

David Weber is the king of epic military stories, in my opinion. Really knows how to write great characters, great action, and just huge stories in their scope. Check out On Basilisk Station sometime, I think the ebook copy of it is available for free from the Baen Library.

And Kris Longknife is another good military story, although much more narrow, focusing on just a handful of characters. Quick reads, lots of fun. Was very interesting after all the really serious military stories I'd read to see one that had a good amount of light-heartedness and humor in it.

---------- Post added at 04:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

Yeah, Darman was a great character too. Probably one of the best examples I've seen of someone being a 'rock' for a squad without being inhumanly solid emotionally and mentally.

I can recommend some stuff for you Monkey, including some really good audiobooks.

---------- Post added at 04:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 AM ----------

Books are not at all my favorite topic. Nope. >.>

Ever want to chat shop on writing, I'm always up for it. Anything from technique to genre to characters. It's really my personal hobby, much as I enjoy miniatures games, lol. Also, in the meantime, check out the podcast Writing Excuses- it's got a ton of advice in short fifteen minute segments on writing from published authors.

Eh, lol. I tend to go for epics, for some crazy reason. Plus, haven't met anyone outside of you lot who discuss the books, so can't borrow them!

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 AM ----------

Heh, yeah, we are pretty chatty today. How's writing going, Abs?

Eh, lol. I tend to go for epics, for some crazy reason. Plus, haven't met anyone outside of you lot who discuss the books, so can't borrow them!

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 AM ----------

Heh, yeah, we are pretty chatty today. How's writing going, Abs?

meh, its not..beginning to think its grinding to a halt...my muse has gone!

I'm sure once I get the chance to do a good few hours on it, the mojo will come flooding back..

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

I think almost my entire gaming circle have at least a few if not the full set of Discworld.

Maybe we are making up for the lack of posting for the rest of the week....

It may be sad but I have every single book Terry Pratchett has done, not read all of them yet but getting there.

Also got all of Terry Brooks' Shannara too, who though I know is not a great writer, still love the stories as i began reading as a kid...

Yeah, I was kinda off and about all this week.

Hopefully your muse comes back! It's hard to get going, so I know what you mean. Even in the middle a scene it's hard to get back into things if you get interrupted.

---------- Post added at 05:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

I'm sure Shannara is a perfectly fine set of books...but I just couldn't get past the farmboy character. >.< So tired of farmboys. I find books with characters who are already competent in their own right much more interesting.

I very much enjoyed the Eddings books that I read, actually. Fun stuff, if much more light hearted than most fantasy I read nowadays, lol.

---------- Post added at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 AM ----------

I forgot about this diagram...always loved it. This is the Xanatos Gambit in flowchart form:

XanatosGambitDiagram_7509.jpg

To be fair the Shannara books can be quite light reading compared to say, Eddings.

I see what you mean about the farmboy character Ed but it does become clear in the books that they aren't just randomly picked..they are all descendants of the same line so I guess farmboy or not lol, he was getting picked!

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Gaunt's Ghosts. *grin*

nah, no substance to those! :) *falls over laughing*

Yeah, they're all light and cheerful, ya know?

(fails to keep a straight face, falls out of chair laughing)

Nah, Shannara was just the first series where I noticed the tropes of the Farmboy and the Gandalf...by that point, I wanted something different.