Off Topic Playground

Hey, Redd got post 56000, lol.

I know what you mean, Redd. I do a lot of reading and watch a lot of movies for fun, but lately I'm really watching for how the writers do things, to learn the storytelling techniques they use. It's kinda... I dunno. Fascinating to start looking at things that way.

That's the key to great design; whether it be writing, art, game design, or whatever, experiencing what other people have done with the same things you want to do is very important.

"Use what talents you possess: the world would be silent if no birds sang except those that sang the best."

It gets a bit weird when you watch reality and look for the tricks chemistry and biology are using, so you can borrow them...

...is it bad that I do that too? Granted, I'm looking for ways to screw with them in fiction...

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

And that is an awesome quote, Redd.

That's probably where the start of the slippery slope to demented evil genius is. Before long, you'll be stroking a cat in a big chair while your goons throw a spy into the shark tank!

Not before you've told him your plans, of course.

That's probably where the start of the slippery slope to demented evil genius is. Before long, you'll be stroking a cat in a big chair while your goons throw a spy into the shark tank!

Not before you've told him your plans, of course.

Oh no! I'm gonna be pulling a Tarquin, screw the Villain Ball.

The Rebels were, I think, my favorite of the Deadzone factions. Lots of creative designs in there, might pick them up once I see the quality of the models.

I mean it's awesome! Justin, Mack, David and I are all completely different gamers/game designers. We all come from extremely different backgrounds and personalities. So we learn a lot off of each other when developing titles for you guys.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the chance to chat with you guys. Game design isn't my thing, but I love to learn about it, would be a fascinating conversation.

I'm really excited to meet everyone. Some really cool things are happening and it'll be awesome to get into the talks about the general design philosophy behind some of these things including mechanics, aesthetics, all of it! I mean, we've been working extremely hard in the office, so it's really great to see all of these very different things come together. I think what we have to bring to the tabletop is going to be amazing.

Edited by Redd.Cohen

Are any of you guys into fighting games? Like Street Fighter or Marvel vs. Capcom 3?

I used to be into fighting games. They are too complicated now, though I'll jump in on occasion. I think Samurai Shodown (Spirits) II is one of the best ever, and I'll always have a fondness for Darkstalkers and the King of Fighters series up through '99 (and no, that's not just because of impossibly-attired "bouncy" ninja Mai Shiranui, either :-P)

By the way, if you like the Smash Brothers series, go look up There Will Be Brawl. It takes the characters from the games and puts them into a dystopian near-future. Lots of great classic gaming in-jokes, too. NSFW due to a bit of bad language.

Meanwhile, in wanna-be designer's land, I think my first original minis game should be a universal one. Tons of games of that type out there, but I've only seen a few mini-agnostic rulesets that aren't Tabletop Heartbreakers or old games gone freeware (like Stargrunt II):

• Ganesha's Song of Blades and Heroes family
  • Into the Fray
  • No Quarter
  • Collision
  • Gruntz has one official mini as of yet so I am counting it for now
  • To a lesser extent, Skulldred

I suspect that one of my projects will be instrumental in determining if I have the chops to write a game. Dwarf Wars was a minigame with a very cool base design and solid, if a bit dry fluff that fell prey to some bad rewrite decisions from the publishers. If I can revise it and test it to the point of a freeware release without quitting, maybe I have what it takes to do this in earnest.

O.o What happened with DragonCon?

And I know that unless this year goes horrible (doubtful at this rate!) I intend to be there in 2014! Should be easier to set aside money with a year to do it, lol.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Dust a couple of guys down the club have been trying the beta of Deadzone with whatever models they have...... looks quite cool.

Right I have successfully glued my fingers together assembling models, suppose I should paint some guard....

Whatcha building?