Off Topic Playground

Dystopian Wars is much more fun than Firestorm Armada, in my opinion. I think they went overboard on limiting fights and bombers, which makes carriers an odd choice except for activation spam... plus the ways the decided to differentiate the factions make things annoying. DW I think they did a lot better with.

I like competitive players, I am one. Tournaments can be a lot of fun, honestly, but even in pick up games I am looking for a match that has some back and forth challenge to it. Someone screw-balling around makes me feel like I'm beating on a baby seal kinda thing, and that's no fun for anyone.

But yeah, the hypercompetitive thing gets very, very annoying. And GW definitely has a great deal to answer for this. At the beginning of Mk. II I would have disagreed with you about PP, Dust, but after playing it for nearly a year... by the end of it, I agree. Watching things go back to status quo once the first expansion books came out was more than frustrating.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Good post crusher. I too am a small skirmish only player these days and hope Malifaux never gets vehicles or other things that start stretching the point costs to bigger and bigger games.

I just wasn't sold on the minis of Deadzone, but could easily see myself user Infinity ones as proxies.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

I just realised I also have Levi and a mechanical attendant to paint. Even so I wonder if I can get all my Malifaux minis done in time for Gencon. It would be a stretch due to limited painting time at the moment but maybe the deadline is what I need.

My biggest thing that kept me off Deadzone was the quality of the Dreadball pieces. The concept seemed interesting, I liked a lot of the concept art, and skirmish games are always fun.

Might be a good idea to have that as a timeline! Then you won't feel guilty about getting more Malifaux. :-P

Huh. Watching The Dark Knight, just saw something I never noticed before. Joker steals the sawed-off shotgun from the mob banker at the beginning of the movie, then actually brings it along with him in another scene.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

By the way, Mako, did you see DMFA?

I'm heavily into Persona 4 Arena. I'm asking because EVO (the world's largest fighting game tournament) is starting today, so after work, David and I are going to watch it! There's a lot of people who signed up for the SSM:B tournament as well. You should check it out!

It's a collaboration between Arc System Works (creators behind Guilty Gear and BlazBlue) and Atlus. It's a 2D fighter like Guilty Gear or MVC 2, but invokes a lot of simpler fighting methods (no focus dash cancel stuff thank god). It's one of the very few games I'm really invested in and is my favorite to play.

Even if you don't get that fleet, Monkey, still would recommend grabbing the starter set. Or, at least get a demo to give you an idea of the rules.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

I too play SSB, but my tactic is usually spending the entire match trying to eat people and then jump off cliffs with them in my mouth.

Kirby is the best

Heh, I've started playing a little bit more lately, some of the Star Wars group play so we've gotten it going some. I've been having a lot of fun with Zelda/Sheik against human opponents.

Focus dash cancel means to cancel a move in the middle of the move. For example, a FDC for Captain Falcon would be to charge a Falcon Punch, but before the animation completes, you stop the Falcon Punch. This cause the opponent to Shield Bubble real quick, but while he does that, you grab and throw him really fast. It's kind of like juking someone and tricking them to do something you want to in a game.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Simply put, FDC is just canceling the animation of an attack so you 'cause your opponent to do a certain move, then you take advantage of the situation and punish them with a fast counter.

When they do that is when you smack your opponent with the controller, right?

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

It's really cool, David taught me everything he knows about fighting games and it was very useful when developing the game design behind Showdown.

Oh, so that's where the ducking, weaving, and weaselling came from!

When they do that is when you smack your opponent with the controller, right?

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

Oh, so that's where the ducking, weaving, and weaselling came from!

Exactly! When David and I design games, we often try to take really cool ideas we learned from video games and create a cool spin on it for the tabletop. That being said, we play A LOT of games (tabletop and video games alike) for fun, but mostly to study the mechanics. We will go through like 1-2 dozen different games a month