Off Topic Playground

I like the idea of Kings of War, but I didn't like the rules when I read them. Far too simplified for me. Granted, my favorite edition of Fantasy was 7th, at least pre-Daemons... which is my problem with GW in general. The rules are fine as a framework, but the army balance is terrible. Flyers in 6th are an excellent example, no excuse for how badly they fethed that up.

Here's the funny thing- the rules are simple, but it doesn't mean winning is. KoW is mostly about maneuver and positioning- lots of forcing choices, setting up counter-charges and flanking maneuvers, and so on. Even Orcs have to play with at least a little bit of tactical acumen :-P

Magic is subtle. Cavalry is more realistic (dishes out the pain, but if they take some hits they're done). Blocks of regular infantry are by and large the cornerstone of all armies. There are very few, if any, Hammer and Anvil lists that aren't beaten to a pulp by good play.

Besides, there are good fan lists if you aren't playing one of the normal eight factions, and the core rules and army lists are, y'know, free, so at worst you're out a few hours of your time (plug, plug) *wink*

I was worried about it at first because of some of our 40k players who signed up for Malifaux... but they all quit when they discovered that the game doesn't really have an easy win button. Both of them are hardcore Grey Knights players, one of them even bought the whole Neverborn faction and then discovered that they're complicated.

Sigh...neckbeards...

That would require me to get another game started up...quite sick of that, lol. I only have so much time for games! And right now I've got Malifaux going, looking into Dystopian Legions, and into Infinity, and into Dreadball. Add in RPGs, Video Games, school and work, I don't have time for anything else, lol.

What did/do you play in Fantasy?

I played Lizardmen for my first army, then went over to Dark Elves. Absolutely loved my Elves, but then Daemons came out and I shelved them out of disgust. A guy who only played in tournaments but had a ton of cash and frankly wasn't that good a player started sweeping our tournament events, and that doesn't address the fact that the organizer had been playing (and winning) all the events before that. Our Fantasy scene sucked a lot, for a lot of reasons. >.>

Thought about rebuilding them using a combination of Mantic and GW stuff, grabbing kits that I like from one or the other, but I've gotten quite tired of 'battalion' level games. I want with something truly epic (Dropzone Commander, Dystopian Wars, etc) with tons of (cheap and simple to paint) models, or a skirmish game with only a handful. 40k and Fantasy fit into that 'inbetween' category, and I just don't find I enjoy it anymore.

It's fun, I just wish Spartan would hurry up and fix their release schedule. They've got four games now, and they're just trying to release too much each time. They announced models three months ago that still aren't out, for example. Makes it hard to drum up any enthusiasm for it, especially since they keep adding more and more factions to make it more complicated...

Yeah, never seen it myself, bit young for that one. Honestly, the only reason I found out about Spartan was people recommended it as an alternative to Battlefleet Gothic... I love the look of Gothic, but the lack of support/expense put me off on it. But then, not a huge fan of Firestorm either, don't like the complete uselessness of bombers and fighters. Dystopian Wars seems to have a better balance.

One game was Yan Lo again my Mei Feng. Both learning the rules so it was a case of ignoring the schemes and just going at it. The other game was Yan Lo vs avatar Sonnia. My first use of an avatar. Finally she can do something as her regular form is useless unless you're willing to spend a fortune in soulstones.