Off Topic Playground

Welllllll... Les Miserable is certainly... long?

Not sure if stage really translates well to screen.

I thought that it translated really well to the screen. Normally I'm against most musicals turned movies, but Les Mis was extremely well done. There were some behind the scenes shots during promotion that showed that mane of the scenes were set up like a play. The biggest one that jumps to my mind was "Lovely Ladies" the scenery of the buildings as she's walking down those steps was a wall basically with just enough space for the stairs, and the spaces where the ladies of the night could hide out of sight when not singing.

Edit: I think the thing that makes the film seem long is that there is not the standard intermission that we are treated to during 3+ hours of musical theatre.

I felt some scenes were over-acted, which is fine for stage as nobody is close enough to see that level of detail, but when you go to your knees and shout no to the heavens during a close up it looks a little silly.

Also I dont understand why Jean's heaven is the french revolution. Thats like the opposite of heaven.

As to gravy explosions, I managed to not burn myself on the oven during christmas dinenr prep, but microwave some gravy? Well apparently when you take the lid off the tupperware there's a chance for it to explode.

The scene at the end is less of the French Revolution, and more of the fact that all of these people are free. All of these people that have had a crappy life are no longer subject to the whims and harshness of life. If you look, it's not just those that have died during the film, but those that have died in less than ideal situations. Specifically to the movie, you don't see Javert who took his own life, a very cowardly act in general, and also against the very Christian ideals that ran through his and Valjean's veins.

Also just looking at the song that they sing, it's a song about freedom and those that won't back down. These people, dead they may be, are completely, utterly, and finally, free. Something that Valjean waited almost 40 years for.

We were watching the 2012 version.

And still, it doesnt make sense to me because Valjean didnt have a strong connection to the majority of those people and a giant barricade is unarguably french revolution and to valjean it should have been a sign of death as the only time he gets involved with the revolution is to yank romeo back to juliet.

I dunno, Im probably just not a fan of old style musicals. I really need singing plants or skeletons or heavy drug use in a musical to truly enjoy it.

Oh, it's one I read ages back. I think it was carpe jugulum. The vampire's Igor makes himself a dog out of parts, and gives him two tails because dogs like having a tail so two should make it even happier...

---------- Post added at 06:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

All my books are back home, I just have memories of them now lol. I just remembered Thcrapth because I was contemplating ressers and canine remains. I blame the guild hand conversion I saw earlier!