Off Topic Playground

Yeah, things are pretty good. All out of whack on feeling awake/tired, lol. Had a couple nights of insomnia this weekend that were annoying. Got a good amount to do tonight, though! How are you?

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

I live in Cleveland, a 2 hour drive to Erie, though I hench down in Canton, which is about 2 and a half hours to Erie. I might, depends on if I'm playing Pathfinder that weekend or not.

Also, everything goes well on our side of the border, we've repelled the syrup slurping badgers you sent down last week once again..

Ah, gotcha! Well, would be awesome to see you out for it.

Same old same old up here! Sleep problems are getting worse again, so I'm with you on 'enjoying' that one. But work starts again tomorrow so that might keep me busy. Or give me time to watch all the TtB videos, job hunt and write some stuff, more likely *wink*

What you got planned to do tonight?

Hmm, you stopped the badgers. Thats unfortunate. Still, it seems you didn't notice the elite covert ops ferret squad I deployed. They're very good...

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

And I'm still pondering the TtB kickstarter. Have checked my Canadian accounts, just need to have a look at my UK ones to see what I have and what I'm going to have to pay out soon.

Tonight is a lot of programming, and critiquing a thousand word sample of writing from a friend in the Star Wars group. She wants to try doing some freelance writing for Black Library, and they do a 1,000 sample first before anything approaching a story, and she asked me to look over it. Trying to figure out how I want to go about putting comments, whether into the story itself, or another file, or whatever, lol.

Um. It needs to be developed, lol. She has some great ideas, which I've heard (she's talking about running a Deathwatch campaign in her own setting within 40k, which my brother and I are interested in doing), and she does know how to write. But she's got some awkward phrasings and ideas, and that's just in the early part of the writing. It's got a lot of potential, it just needs revising. And, I'm betting, a larger sample of authors for her to draw her own style from. But, that last might be wrong.

Doing some basic level programming for a set of decently complicated boards. Should be enough to keep me going for most of the night.

Well, that's where you and practice help out right? At least the ideas are there, and they're the killer bit I always think!

Basic level programming. Heh. Probably still totally beyond me. Having stuff to do sounds good though!

I've roughed out five faces, will finish them tomorrow I think. Going back to working on the snipers base edges before bed...

Iron Sky? O.o

And actually, Mako, you probably could do this, lol. Just basic computer skills, telling the computer where to find the file to program, and then telling it to do so.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Welp, I've found one thing that'll be hard to advise on here...she's very much a Purple Prose writer, lol.

That just sounds like someone put bad movie cliches in a hat and pulled out a handful to arrange the plot...

I think I drift between beige and purple, that balance line is really hard to maintain. Sometimes you need a bit of one or the other, but getting it right is something I find really tricky.

I think I've figured out what I'm seeing. I'm seeing her writing how she would describe something as a Game Master for roleplaying. So, I'm seeing her writing in a style meant to be heard, which is a different skillset from something meant to be read...

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

The new Texas Chainsaw Massacre was terrible. Horror movie by the number with predictably cheesy 3d effects.

Hopefully the new evil dead is better or my horror movie fanatic friend is going to burn his movie collection.

Heh, I just stay away from new horror movies. I'm really only a fan of certain ones, but I'm okay with sticking what I've got.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

G'night, Alf, see you tomorrow!

Very true! That's a whole section of writing I don't even have a clue about, lol. Although I think it would be really interesting...DAMMIT MAKO! Do you know what you just did by bringing that up?! Now Elle wants to redo Carver of Flesh as an audio drama! (headdesk)

Muahahahahahahahahaa! Muse ADD strikes again!

I reckon it would make an awesome bard's tale audio drama though.

I'm hopefully going to get Sophie in a writing mood this week and do some bits and pieces, maybe even get back to the novel if I can come up with the right stuff!

Would love to see some more writing from you. Not that I don't enjoy your sculpting, I just get the writing more *wink* lol

Yeah, it probably would make for an awesome audio drama, honestly. I'll have to consider it, if I can find anyone interested in reading for it.

Well, the guy who voiced Optimus prime (i think) did the voiceovers for a Star Wars COPS parody based around stormtroopers. For free, if I remember rightly. And the show is hilarious too, they put a lot of effort into it especially for a freebie. IMPS, I believe it's called.

I like writing, although I struggle for ideas more with it than I do with sculpting. And I'm never sure if it's any good! I have an idea for a short piece that's connected to the sculpt I'll be doing for the challenge, might do that while I wait for Sophie to provide some scenes from the novel...

Yeah, TvTropes is good for that, lol. I'm working on writing up comments for that critique...hopefully not coming across as too blunt.

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

Did you find anything interesting in Trope-land tonight?