Off Topic Playground

Being a DM/GM is like being a story creator, but with the exception that you have to be able to either write 400 possible stories to account for player action OR be able to write good stories on the fly.

Or you could just be a bad DM and tell players they cant do anything that prevents your story from happening exactly as you wrote it. But in that case I'd rather you just send me the script and save me the trouble of rolling dice for 6 hours to make it come true.

I like being a player to try and do something the DM didn't expect. That and critical successes and failures. Cause nothing says AMAZING like killing the dragon with a rock you threw or failing to jump over the pit of non deadly but extremely itchy insects

Yeah, given my tendency to have many plot arcs and interweavings and options in things, I don't think being restrictive is a problem! I'd hate to actually have to say no to something, that's no fun for anyone!

It's just a case of knowing what the world and it's occupants think like, and letting them respond to the lunacy of the players, right? Lol

*scribbles note: itchy insects*

If you're going for traditional fantasy settings like D&D, I made a deathtrap dungeon where by solving the puzzles getting to the maguffin at the center they set a trap in each room they passed.

So the statue with bronze spear that electrified the water they were standing in every time its attack missed a player? Killing the medusa in the next room broke the stonecurse on it! However its a swamp hag, so have fun fighting that.

Also you know how many tiny creatures you can fit in a cupboard? 32 in 4e! Did you know that a crawling claw, (think thing from adams family, but murderous) is a tiny creature? Why no player there are no traps on the cupboard. And there aren't! Its just full of hands. Enjoy!

Its all just framing. You want to have a fight per room, but just saying, "theres a swarm of hands, fight em." Is boring. So you frame it in an interesting way. And if your players are smart enough to throw the cupboard into the medusa pit, good on em!

The flint golem in the flamable gas room will be waiting for them!

Well, there seems to be one based on rune quest and the like, called renaissance. Lol. Basic rules are free too, if I could only get them to download on my pad. Deluxe edition is £20 ish and has sanity rules, a few other bits, and expanded faction history and equipment lists

---------- Post added at 06:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

So assassins creed 2 with a hint of Cthulhu... What's not to love!

If you're going for traditional fantasy settings like D&D, I made a deathtrap dungeon where by solving the puzzles getting to the maguffin at the center they set a trap in each room they passed.

So the statue with bronze spear that electrified the water they were standing in every time its attack missed a player? Killing the medusa in the next room broke the stonecurse on it! However its a swamp hag, so have fun fighting that.

Also you know how many tiny creatures you can fit in a cupboard? 32 in 4e! Did you know that a crawling claw, (think thing from adams family, but murderous) is a tiny creature? Why no player there are no traps on the cupboard. And there aren't! Its just full of hands. Enjoy!

I had good DM that never told us if we passed or failed test, most of time he just said he said "you suffer noticeable effects"

Made us completly paranoid, I was certain he told us roll dice for no reason somtimes, but not too much that got bored of it

I could never be bothered to memorize all my players' stats, so I just created situations to make them paranoid of testing at all.

You see a pit in the middle of the floor.

"Ok, I carefully inch over the side and peer down"

Roll perception.

"Hah! Natural 20!"

Ok, you perfectly perceive the Medusa and are slowed. Save vs Paralysis.

That's how my DM does it, unless it's a skill check in a fight...although he's stopping doing that at the moment. All three of us are skillful characters: a sniper, a commando, and a spy. It's the weirdest party I've been a part of, and the weirdest he's had by far, so he's adjusting. Normally, his parties are very combat heavy.