Off Topic Playground

Got to meet with the owner of Game Corps and run through a demo of the final rules for M2E. Looks like Game Corps is about to become the home of the tabletop community in Erie... he's really interested in seeing games grow and giving them a home. Just need to figure out scheduling stuff for it because he's also the Magic the Gathering haunt. Might even have some demos lined up for this Saturday too!

Also slept. A lot. And it was exciting, because it was the first real bit of sleep since Gencon, lol.

It went mostly good... except the party got stuck at a magical concealed door for an hour, trying to get it open by doing various things. It needed a very specific medallion to open it.

I could not make them leave this door for the life of me... even when I made it start zapping them for hp when they were messing with it.

Sometimes you can just not predict what players are going to do!

Heh...you should hear some of the stuff the Oovoo group has done. They managed to sidestep me completely with one session, came up with a super creative way to neatly avoid all the problems I had planned for a three hour session. So, I was going to let them, it would be a short session, then we'd just hang out. Two hours later, they were creating more problems with their creative solution than I had intended to throw at them originally...

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

And by creating, I mean they were avoiding the straight pathway to victory I was letting them walk by zig-zagging through increasingly more complicated theoretical problems they might run into...none of which they did.

I never expect them to do what I WANT them to do... but I'll be damned if I ever thought they would spend over an hour on this one little thing!

I guess I should have forseen it. The rules for our current party seem to be this:

1. Ask what is available to eat in every inn or vendor they stop by, or every dinner they attend.

2. Spend at least half an hour deciding what to wear and describing how you are preparing to look your best.

3. Insist on splitting the party in at least three directions. The characters who are doing things that don't advance the storyline demand to describe in vivid detail what they are doing.

So I guess in reality, they always spend a ton of time on one thing.