A few rezzer questions after my first game

twenty4seven

Hey guys I played my first real game last Sunday and really enjoyed it but I just wanted to clarify a couple of things that seemed contentious.

1. When I deploy Bete Noire as per her "Drawn to Death" ability does the killed living or undead model still generate a corpse counter?

2. Can I have a Punk Zombie use "Self-Mutilate" for his slow to die action?

Also, I was using Nicodem and it seemed pretty difficult to get my reanimator spell to go off. I didn't make the cast successfully until the last couple of turns to get a Punk and a crooked man on the table but it was already too late to stop my opponent from achieving the strategy. I was wondering if anyone had any general advice about bettering my odds of getting the cast I need because I really suffered without any substantial combat models on the table for the majority of the game and do you think it's a good idea to hire maybe one or two punks or crooked men from the get go instead of relying on cheap dogs to generate corpse counters?

1. Doesn't say anything about not generating a corpse counter, so it generates any other counters as normal. She doesn't pop out of the body, she just comes running.

2. Not sure about this one... Since it inflicts wounds rather than damage, you may not be able to hit yourself for more than you have left. Have to leave this for someone else.

Edit: Rules forum consensus is you can't spend Wd you don't have, so no using Self-Mutilate for your Slow to Die.

For casting Reanimator: Nico needs a >=9 :crows to pull it off. Hoard them through the first few turns to cheat. Don't forget your soulstones too - if you've got a lower :crows in your hand you can cheat it, and then use a soulstone to make up the numerical requirement.

Example: You have a 6:crows in hand. You flip something useless. Cheat that 6:crows, burn the soulstone to add. As long as you get a 3+ of anything, it'll go off. Pretty good odds.

Edited by Buhallin

Hey guys I played my first real game last Sunday and really enjoyed it but I just wanted to clarify a couple of things that seemed contentious.

1. When I deploy Bete Noire as per her "Drawn to Death" ability does the killed living or undead model still generate a corpse counter?

2. Can I have a Punk Zombie use "Self-Mutilate" for his slow to die action?

Also, I was using Nicodem and it seemed pretty difficult to get my reanimator spell to go off. I didn't make the cast successfully until the last couple of turns to get a Punk and a crooked man on the table but it was already too late to stop my opponent from achieving the strategy. I was wondering if anyone had any general advice about bettering my odds of getting the cast I need because I really suffered without any substantial combat models on the table for the majority of the game and do you think it's a good idea to hire maybe one or two punks or crooked men from the get go instead of relying on cheap dogs to generate corpse counters?

1 and 2 were already answered. Your best bet to get reanimator off is to have some stones to add to your total with a crow in hand.

Is this true if they say, get head shot?

Interesting question.

There isn't anything in the rules that says a killed model is reduced to 0 wounds - just that reducing to 0 kills a model. So I think that by the letter of the rules, the model still has Wd remaining when it's killed, so could use Self Mutilate with those Wd.

Interesting question.

There isn't anything in the rules that says a killed model is reduced to 0 wounds - just that reducing to 0 kills a model. So I think that by the letter of the rules, the model still has Wd remaining when it's killed, so could use Self Mutilate with those Wd.

That logic is a good way to not have anyone to play with.

First rule when playing any game DBAD

That logic is a good way to not have anyone to play with.

First rule when playing any game DBAD

Personally, I apply that rule mainly by not browbeating people who know the rules just because I may not happen to like what they say. So long as it's not game breaking or ruining the fun for anyone involved, creative interplay of rules and abilities are what ability-laden games like Malifaux are all about.

But hey, if it bugs you that badly, feel free to say you don't like it, but try without the insults, K?