Dark Alley Studios and commissions.

Dark Alleycat

Nice. It's cool to watch the improvements in your work. Nino looks great from the back, his belt and pockets are well defined. The colors clash a bit, the green and blue.

The red needs some depth. It's a difficult color to get right - there are lots of tutorials on it. I've found just starting with a dark red/brown base helps a lot. Leave a bit of that darkest color in the deepest recesses to make it pop.

The witchling is excellent. The only comments would be on the red sword hilt (as above) and I'd like to see a little more detailing on the boots. It's okay to go pretty light when highlighting black, just only use small highlights - leave most of the surface black. The red eyes with the OSL looks sharp. The sword blades are great too - nice effect on them. All of his other colors look good, good shading and good variation with the dark brown and the off-white color.

A few little things could use some improvement (as always) but good work overall.

Luckily the stalker isnt sealed yet so I can go back and give the sword hilt a bit more highlighting. Generally for a red I fall back on my GW paints as I have the Red gore-Blood Red-blazing orange. I admit I wasn't completely happy with Nino,but like I said,It was a test piece for several things. I think painting it before it was glued together might have done alot more for it lol. Will definitely go back over the boots. And thanks man,I really appreciate the advice and comments. By tomorrow I should have Perdita and Abuela to add to the list.

Happy to help. I use GW reds also and I'm not thrilled with them. I will normally start with Scorched Brown to give it some depth. Then start highlighting with the Scab red, then red gore, then just a small amount of blood red (blood red has lots of orange in it, so too much of it moves you too far away from red) then maybe just a dot of the Orange for a final highlight.

Beautiful models and great to see the improvement progression through the thread.

I too really love the OSL red eyes on the witchling stalker, very seriously cool.

I like to use GW dark flesh as a base for my reds as I feel it is 'redder' than the scorched brown, but that's just me.

I would suggest using GW bleached bone or similar for the eyes as pure white is not ideal, the mini ends up looking a bit psychotic.

Rhaksha

• 2 weeks later...

Perdita1.jpg

So here is the Front of the next model completed,Perdita. Not overwhelmingly thrilled with how the photo came out,the model itself looks better. Here is the back view.

Perdita2.jpg

So,since I have done quite a lot of wyrd models I think its time for something slightly different.Next post will be a warjack in amethyst rose colors.

• 1 month later...