Skype DnD Group?

Hi,

Any players out there who may be new to DnD or simply wish to participate in an online DnD adventure?

Something a bit casual (weekend timeslot)

Skype and other programs will be requried in order to know where everyone is on a dungeon map.

I am seriously curious about this. Please respond only if you can contribute or are interested in being part of the Party or DMing.

Pathfinder would be preferred, if more experienced members are interested.

otherwise, 4.0 if you are newer.

skype is fairly easy to set up. and 4th isnt that bad,but it doesn't give as much room for the RP that makes D&D games really fun in my opinion.

Eh, i'm sure it's easy, i just don't care for skype, or any kind of gaming done by voice-over-internet. I prefer a text based game over the web.

Agreed on 4e, it's not horrible, it's just too.....homogenized for my tastes.

Eh, i'm sure it's easy, i just don't care for skype, or any kind of gaming done by voice-over-internet. I prefer a text based game over the web.

Agreed on 4e, it's not horrible, it's just too.....homogenized for my tastes.

Skype can do either text or VOIP simultaneously.

As for 4th, it is really an option for ease of use as we are unfamiliar with eachother and for newer players to become accustomed.

I have DMd ADnD (2.5), 3.5, Pathfinder/

I have played most, and recently played 4.0 with a sad group that didnt even know how to play and were forever being punished by the DM for META...

Anyone care to explain META for me... It gets me so mad just to think about meta-gamers...

I would be interested in playing, although I've never played DnD... Nor do I own a rulebook. Is that a problem?

Angus, you do not need a rulebook per se, because once you have built your character (from PDF character fluff) and selected your spells/actions/feats the remainder of the game is in your head... you are literally limited by your imagination and the DM's discretion...

The only 'rules' you really need are to know activation sequences and DO NOT meta-game.

sounds fun! I wish I had time :(:(

Eric, if you truly wish to be involved, you could paint the PC minis that represent each participating member of the party :aetsch:

Not really interested in playing (I lack both the time and interest in D&D's recent incarnations) but you might check out Infrno for running it, rather than Skype:

http://www.infrno.net/base/welcome

Good suggestion.

Why do you think Infrno is more advantageous than Skype for this exercise?

Also, to those who have expressed interest, please PM me and we can get something sorted, sooner than later.

Avatar, assuming our time differences aren't too bad i would love to play. I have been itchin to make me a dragon born warlord... PM me if you ever start hosting.

AZ, assuming we run this on a weekend I am willing to get up at odd hours in order to make the meeting, if it turns out that the majority are from the USA.

Finding a good DnD group is worth it.

Why do you think Infrno is more advantageous than Skype for this exercise?

I'll disclaimer that I haven't actually used it, but at least looking at what it's supposed to do it provides a lot of tools to make gaming easier. Integrated character sheets, maps, dice rolling, handouts and art, etc. I also like the video conference for gaming, although I would assume Skype does that as well.

I r Srs!!!

in all honesty I would love the chance to play 4th some more. My normal game group is switching over to pathfinder due to lack of RP compatibility.

My Half-Orc Monk would love to get some actual play time lol.

And yes,being able to send the Mini's after we painted them so they could move around the board would be stellar.

that would rock, dark alley. I wouldnt mind just giving avatar my mini for the effort he will end up putting into this ( being a DM i know that there is considerable effort...) I havent settled on warlord yet but i KNOW im a dragonbord. I have a backstory and everything!

If anyone needs a tiefling warlock I have a rocking one you can use.

Skype is great, I use it all the time to communicate with my parents and the inlaws and you can have multpile windows up i belive, So long as there is a camera pointed at the board and i can send Avatar my mini i want to be i think this is gonna be sweet

I agree with this. I am more familiar with Skype. Unless someone in the group can bring a better alternative, I believe it should suit the purpose.

I r Srs!!!

in all honesty I would love the chance to play 4th some more. My normal game group is switching over to pathfinder due to lack of RP compatibility.

My Half-Orc Monk would love to get some actual play time lol.

And yes,being able to send the Mini's after we painted them so they could move around the board would be stellar.

AZ and DA:

I am more than happy to move your minis around a board for the purpose of visualisation. However, I have mostly played using imagination, only using minis in 4th with the last group I had. They were very meta and I ended up leaving the group due to them not being immersive enough. Though, I do agree that not being in the "same room" with you this approach may assist... just dont expect to always be represented by the mini you choose... remembering, your wargear and appearance will change throughout the experience... Im thinking AZ will have pink scales... to begin with...:idea:

I also have a headset, mic and webcam for the above purposes...

At present it appears that we will have a smallish group, which is good for learning. 4.0 will also assist with this.

Im just trying to get my hands on 4.0 books (there are about 8 we could effectively use for the entire experience) as I do not wish to DL copies... though we may end up doing this anyway to share them out for the group.

PMs incoming to AZ and DA.

We will have room for another 2-3 places, dependent upon everyone's wishes.