First Malifaux Models - Outcasts

yetischool

I finally finished my first few Malifaux minis.

I've decided to use the Malifaux range to try several techniques I've never had the chance, skill, or courage to do in the past. My first crew is the Viktorias and the first new technique is Non-metallic Metal.

Let me know what you think of the first two!

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=754

I decided to go with a very traditional color scheme for the first Viktoria. However, I wanted her scheme to share several things in common with the second Vik, who is still on the painting table. The ivory kneepads and gauntlets will tie into the other Vik's scheme and help make the two look like a single unit.

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=755

For my first effort dong any kind of Non metallic metal, I'm pretty please so far.

**UPDATE**

I decided to redo the work on Viktoria, as I Was never happy with the NMM gold that came out. I tried about four or five times before finally deciding to stick to a silver sword all the way for her.

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=1181

and one of her from behind.

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=1182

Next up in the first Ronin. I loved the studios scheme and I decided to keep this model simple and clean. I may go back and do some more detailed flourishes in the future, but haven't decided yet.

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=751

I was very impressed with myself at how the metals turned out this time, especially the gold on her sword and belt buckle.

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=752

That's it for now. More to follow. Thanks for looking!

Edited by yetischool
updated photos for vik

~Hi

Those are beautiful models. I think that the NMM gold on the Ronin looks better than that of the Viktoria which looks a little yellow in my opinion. The models are very clean though and its mighty impressive work

Can't wait to see more

• 8 months later...

Yes, I have been working more on the Outcasts!

Sword Vik is almost ready and I'm really looking forward to getting her completed. She's been a bit of a thorn in my side. However, work continues on the rest of the crew around her. I've even had a chance to get some work done in spite of all the puppets around here lately.

First up is Taelor.

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=1179

I've continued to struggle with the Non-Metallic Metals on her, but I think I did reasonable job and I'm starting to see some improvement...mostly on the PuppetWars models, but progress nonetheless. I also ran into an interesting problem with Taelor. As I started looking over Malifaux models, I decided I wouldn't worry about painting eyes like I always have for my neromunda collection. Most of the models come out looking better without detailed eyes, but Taelor seems to be an exception. No matter how I tried, she looked like 14829-3513.gif

Hmm.....So I went ahead and detailed her eyes and I think she turned out better for it.

Here is a shot of her from behind. You can see that, while I'm clearly still practicing, the streaking effect of the NNM is starting to take shape.

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=1180

Finally, for now, ris the Convict Gunslinger and I am pretty pleased with this guy. At first I was not a fan of the sculpt, but this guy is really a case of the paint job making the model.

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=1175

With him, I went back to leaving eyes without extra detail and focused on skintone, really picking out the indiviual scars.

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=1176

I am particularly happy with the pants. I've seen this done several ways and I was nervous about trying to freehand straight lines on tattered fabric, but the whole point is to improve, so I dove in and gave it a shot. I think the extra effort really makes this model pop. As I've done with the Puppets, I steered away from using straight black on the stripes and instead chose GW Charadon Granite. Once shaded, this color is a favorite of mine as you can really make is look like grimy faded black. As a final touch, I added a prison id tattooed on the back of his head with a micron pen.

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=1178

And here's another picture just for fun...Man and Puppet...together at last.

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=1183

Well, that's it for now. Work continues on the rest of the outcasts, including the remaining Vik, two Ronin, Hans, Johan and Bishop. I have a way to go, but I'm looking forward to getting the rest of the crew finished and (finally) basing everyone.

As always, I'd love any comments. Thanks for your time. More to follow.

-Nick