Literature for Malifaux inspiration

I loved the movie thread so now I want to open up to books, though I know it is hard to read and paint at the same time.

Graphic novels/comic:

Sixth Gun - a still on going comic series by Oni Press I can't give this enough praise.

Dead West - crappy and uninspiring zombie western... but it is still a zombie western

Steampunk Palin - crappy goodness.

Walking dead - best damn zombie story even to date

Preacher series by Garth Ennis... Best graphic story ever.

Books:

DNA Cowboys Trilogy - Mick Farren still one of my favorites from childhood.

The Hellbound Heart - Clive Barker great horror.

Day by Day Armagedon by J.L. Bourne and its sequel. Great journal story telling.

I never tried reading a good western, but I would love to hear some suggestions on good supernatural or zombie westerns.

I'm not sure how relevant this one is, but the Eberron campaign setting in Dungeons and Dragons, especially some of the 3.5 books, feels like something you can get inspiration from. World where magic is everywhere, and starting to become technology. It also has a film-noir vibe. The guy who made it pretty much said 'Cross Lord of the Rings with The Maltese Falcon, and things like Casablanca influenced him greatly.

Check out Boneshaker and Dreadnought, both by Cherie Priest. She identifies as a steampunk author, but there are a lot of zombie/weird west influences in her writing as well. Boneshaker has more of a zombie, sci-fi feel to it, and Dreadnought has a lot of western influences, since it's a steampunked retelling of the Civil War.

I highly recommend both.

Check out Boneshaker and Dreadnought, both by Cherie Priest. She identifies as a steampunk author, but there are a lot of zombie/weird west influences in her writing as well. Boneshaker has more of a zombie, sci-fi feel to it, and Dreadnought has a lot of western influences, since it's a steampunked retelling of the Civil War.

I highly recommend both.

+1

Cherie Priest really gave a kick start to my interest in steampunk.

For the Resurrectionists out there I recommend, well, The Resurrectionist.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Resurrectionist-James-Bradley/dp/0571232760/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297975548&sr=1-1[/ame]

Excellent book and it portrays the grimness of the dawn of modern day medicine rather nicely in my opinion.

Also, have to agree with the doctor on Lovecraft,

I'll chime in with an agreement on Lovecraft.

I actually just started reading through the short stories last year, on a trip to Dallas for a job interview. Bad idea.

I was too freaked out to sleep once I got to my hotel, so wound up going to the interview after spending the night with the lights on, convinced that I heard things in the walls.

Hands down, the spookiest stuff I've ever read. But in a good way.

I honestly couldn't get into Lovecraft but his influence is substantial.

It helps to start with the shorter one-ofs like Pickman's Model or Music of Erik Zahn. But, yeah, I can see where the dense verbage might make it unaccessable.

My first book of his works that I bought I have read so much that the spine has come completely out and the pages have turned yellow. I packed it with while travelling to Europe and Africa. I have read it to my lover upon the beach. A good book indeed.

China Miéville! I can't recommend him enough. Fantastic books that combine steampunk with Wild West, high seas adventures and radical politics. Start with Perdido Street Station and if you like that, read The Scar and Iron Council. Iron Council probably has the most direct resemblance to Malifaux, because it draws heavily from the Western genre.

I also just finished as book called Whitechapel Gods, by S.M. Peters. It's very close to Malifaux in feel. Takes place in a subterranean section of Victorian-era London that's ruled by a pair of mechanical gods: Grandfather Clock and Mama Engine.