Lelu Lamentations

Hatchethead

For the most part, I love luv LOVES me some Wyrd minis, but every once in a while one trundles along that simply doesn't sit well with me. I can count them on one hand, mind you. Seamus will never see my painting station, for instance.

... and now there's Lelu.

I've been delaying purchase as I ponder the mini and struggle to envision a way to bend and reshape him into something I'm comfortable with. So far, no love. I'm not entirely convinced it's the pose alone that puts me off, but it's definitely part of the problem.

While I feel perfectly justified voicing my concerns with a Wyrd mini on the Wyrd forum, I'm not keen on requesting proxy suggestions for a model that's on the shelves ... so I won't. I did so once before with the Hatter and it still doesn't sit right with me (it's just bad form, really). But I do wonder, has anyone received their Lelu and been pleasantly surprised? Is there something about the picture or the paint job that doesn't otherwise represent the mini? Or, has anyone discovered some way to reshape him, maybe repositioning his arms? Preferably something that doesn't require a saw, green stuff and actual talent.

Edited by Hatchethead

Kind've looks like an overweight bowler. I really like his leggings and his head/face but the pose and his wide abdomen is what threw me. I bent and repositioned the arms a bit to get rid of the 'just threw the bowling ball' look and bent his legs a bit so he was more upright and screaming at the sky.

Then I took a small file and filed down his sides (pretty much where the belt is - it removed the belt from his sides) to give him a more fit wedge shape. Then I just connected the front and back of the belt with a little free-hand (really easy, just follow the natural extension of the belt).

I was much happier with it after that.

th_100_1885.jpgth_100_1886.jpg

I bet if you pulled his legs apart a little to give him a wider stance it would help even more.

Nice, dgraz. I was thinking along the same lines in terms of widening his stances, bending him more upright so he's "howling at the moon". I also wonder if it's possible to yank his right arm down to the point where it's more or less even with the left, giving him a "HULK SMASH!" sort of look.

the-incredible-hulk-15-10-10-kc.jpg

... though with his head leaning back, screaming at the sky.

I assume that would require cutting the arm off and resculpting the musculature around his shoulder, though.

If I recall, that was more what I wanted to do, but it would have required cutting and resculpting the entire shoulder. I'm not a great sculpter so I just did best I could with it the way it was.

I don't really remember the original model so well, but I wonder if you could pull the right arm down a bit and the left arm up a bit so they're closer. I think I did bend the left arm in at the elbow but again, didn't mess with the shoulders.

If you can make your arm idea work, will you then paint it green?? :)

Seems fellow Wyrdo zKoTTe had a similar notion, hacking off and repositioning Lelu's bowling arm in favor of something more menacing.

SDC11479.jpg

SDC11631.jpg

I hope he doesn't mind me reposting the pics from his WiP thread.

Not bad at all, almost exactly what I had in mind. Very little greenstuff required, by the looks. At worst, one could kit bash some kind of armored shoulder pad to cover the sin, should one be absolutely hopeless with epoxy putty.

Nice, dgraz. I was thinking along the same lines in terms of widening his stances, bending him more upright so he's "howling at the moon". I also wonder if it's possible to yank his right arm down to the point where it's more or less even with the left, giving him a "HULK SMASH!" sort of look.

the-incredible-hulk-15-10-10-kc.jpg

... though with his head leaning back, screaming at the sky.

I assume that would require cutting the arm off and resculpting the musculature around his shoulder, though.

Yeah he reminds me of the Hulk a lot, I just wish his pose was a bit closer to it. I guess it's time to get out the green stuff and see what I can do! I totally want a Hulk Lelu. *nods*

Lelu: LELU SMASH!

Lilitu: *rolls eyes*

I totally want a Hulk Lelu. *nods*

Lelu: LELU SMASH!

Lilitu: *rolls eyes*

The nice thing is, removing and repositioning the right arm creates symmetry. Rebuilding the damaged shoulder would be a simple matter of mirroring the musculature on the opposite shoulder. Even I can handle that (I think). Confidence is high.

His sister misses the 'roid rage. Time for a reunion.