What´s about Hoarcat Prides?

Zwergenkrieger

Hi all,

I wonder what´s the deal with Hoarcat Prides is. I can hardly find a thread in which these buties are recommended for play. Are these subpar? Or even bad?

I think they´ve got some of the best sculpts and therefore I like to paint some. But on the other hand I refuse to spend money for things I´m nver going to use.

So please tell me what´s about the Hoarcat Pride.

ZK

They are decent. I've seen them used with Marcus and Rasputina...and of course Marcus works wonders with them.

A lot of people forget they are Harmless which has saved him a few times.

They have average Cb and Df and they're Dg is awesome if you can keep them healed or you happen upon a lot of crows and you aren't facing armor.

Personally, I like them. Since I don't play Marcus or the Arcanists that much, I really haven't invested in them but I can see their worth.

I have used them a few times with Rasputina and I can say I like them. Rasputina can support them very well with her spells: they really like December's Touch and Ice Pillars for cover. However, you should bring at least 3 of them at once. Only one Pride does not really cut it.

Their defenses are not very good. Early game, they will rely on Harmless stopping attacks or at least drawing moderate cards away from the opponent. However, they are fairly easy to hide from ranged attacks with their Ht 1 and Pass Through. Area attacks are no problem with Evasive.

If you get them to melee in one piece they will be a lot of trouble for your opponent. 2/4/6 damage from a 5 point model is very good and if they get their trigger off, it's insanely powerful. Most things don't have Armor after all. However, try to avoid counter attacks. They will slow down a lot when they get hurt. Even one Wd suffered will drop their weak damage to 1 so getting them to combat at full health is key. Luckily they can heal after killing a model.

The reason to take more than one is Devour + Voracious. Keeping them close by means your opponent pretty much has to kill off the one they engage or they risk getting eaten alive. Ca 6 is huge as the average Df is 4-5. Try to conserve any high Crows is your Control hand for these kittens when facing living models. This should be easy as Crows are a rare suit in Arcanist models' triggers and spells (mostly Tomes and Masks are needed by other models).

I have not found them that useful with Marcus as they don't really synergize well with him (Marcus has no ways to aid their survival like Raspy does). Silurids are better models for his hit-and-run playstyle for the same price. Hoarcats can't really keep the pace with him to be used as main offensive units. Marcus plays best with Silurids + Molemen in my experience.

-Ropetus

EDIT:

I think the issue is Marcus is probably the least played Master and Rasputina relies a lot on Ice Mirror which can't be used through them.

Rasputina has Ice Queen ability which gives Frozen Heart to everyone within 4" so you can Ice Mirror through Hoarcats too. You just lose 2" of range compared to Ice Gamin. You get the same range by casting December's Touch on the Hoarcat first (use a Totem for this) which is a very nice spell for Hoarcats even for the Armor alone.

Edited by Ropetus