lululu's Special Terrain Blog/Diary

lululu_42

Well I've been sucked into warmachine a lot but since I have finally got my hands on Rising Power and talking to my local game store I have decided to shift my focus to Malifaux. Since my local game store doesn't have anything cool to represent some of the special terrain I'm taking it as a personal mission to make these.

Ancient Monument: 50mm area

Campsite:2"x2" or larger severe area.

Creepy Structure 3"x3" or larger area

Graveyard 3"x3" or larger area

Hanging Tree 50mm

Hazardous Terrain 3"x3" or larger area

Magic Nexus 3"x3" piece

Mysterious Effigies 2 30mm markers

Scrap Pile 3"x3" or larger area

Soulstone Vein 2"x2" area

Since the first thing a new arrival to Malifaux sees is the Hanging tree and that will be the first piece I make.

First step is some concept art to get a rough idea of what it will look like.

2010-11-30_03-54-10_104.jpg

Larger View

[url=http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r138/medic_xp/2010-11-30_03-54-10_104.jpg]

It should stand at about 160mm tall about 3x larger than a Model.

I've thought about using the warmachine tree from circle but I've been itching to try and sculpt something so I'm thinking of making it out of clay since that's what i am used too in sculpting. Although when i am able to check out a local art store i am going to keep an open mind on what to sculpt the tree out of.

Okay A quick update on what im doing right now. Just working on some finer details within the tree. The only thing i don't like is that the branches seem really thick but I might be able to work with it.

2010-12-06_04-07-32_55.jpg

Nemissary: You know what they say. Greatminds think alike. Im using supersculpy since Im used to that. how is apoxie sculpt?

Looking good! I don't think the branches are too large at all. They would simply be the main branches from the trunk which can be pretty big on some trees. A sufficiently aged dead tree would most likely have lost most or all of it's smaller branches, anyway.

The only things I could think for possible improvement would be maybe some nubs where sub-branches had once been and maybe make the ends look more broken, rather than tapering into fat points. Not that I wouldn't be happy to play with your tree as-is on my table. It certainly looks better than any I've ever done.

What's the thicker wire you use in building the armature?

Edited by Deuce

The only things I could think for possible improvement would be maybe some nubs where sub-branches had once been and maybe make the ends look more broken, rather than tapering into fat points. Not that I wouldn't be happy to play with your tree as-is on my table. It certainly looks better than any I've ever done.

Thanks for the Input. I'll defiantly will try to make the ends look broken. I have sculpted a couple of maquettes before but i haven't done anything this small though.

What's the thicker wire you use in building the armature?

It's Actually Armature wire. although i probably didn't need it. while the smaller wires are paper clips.