Quick question

Kds54

Ok just a quick question, what is the best crew for a complete novice? As i think i've mentioned before i want a crew for my girlfriend to be able to use and the showgirls do seem a little complicated for a starting crew. Any and all advice welcome, cheers.

Ps i shuold probably mention that i'll be using the Viktorias,probably not important but just in case :)

I think it depends on what you believe is easier. Perdita or Lilith has a more direct play style. However the number of different models and abilities you have are far higher. Every model in Perdita crew is Unique, and she deals with Obey and Companion a lot which I see even advanced gamers stumbling on. Seamus style of play is a bit more convoluted (if you count luring a model away from there lines and then hitting it more convoluted) however you have much lower amount of abilities to deal with, you have 3 identical Belles and Sybelle shares a lot of abilities with the belles. I find new players have less difficulty with tactics than remembering tonnes of different rules.

Viki's crew can handle themselves well enough even if you have *no idea* what you're doing or what the rules are. The hammer bros are just too awsome (although I'd trade out Bishop for two Ronin).

Other than that, Ramos, Lady J, McMourning, and Lilith would be my choices depending on what faction y'all like.

Oh, and Leveticus and Pandora. Totally the best starting crews evah.

Viki's crew can handle themselves well enough even if you have *no idea* what you're doing or what the rules are.

Only if that is also true of your opponent, and even then I'd be wary of saying so. They can do damage, but they die very easily to any semi-competent player if they don't know what you're doing.

Only if that is also true of your opponent, and even then I'd be wary of saying so. They can do damage, but they die very easily to any semi-competent player if they don't know what you're doing.

Relative skill levels and grasp of the rules are, of course, always important to any balanced gameplay. However, they don't have the same type of overly-complex, super-dense, or hyper-tricky rules that other starting crews do. And the crew can be worked with some effeciency right out of the box. For a starting crew, they play very strait-forward and require only a minimal cursary understanding of what's going on.

Crews to avoid

Odd crews: Leveticus, Pandora, Haemlin

Dense crews: Collette, Jones, Dreamer, Hoffman

Crews that want blisters (don't work well right out of box): Marcus, Zoraida, McMourning, Nicodem

However, they don't have the same type of overly-complex, super-dense, or hyper-tricky rules that other starting crews do. And the crew can be worked with some effeciency right out of the box. For a starting crew, they play very strait-forward and require only a minimal cursary understanding of what's going on.

I don't disagree with any of this, however my point is that they're made of glass and if played in an overambitious manner they will die quickly. This can be disheartening if your opponents master is hard to kill and your 'big effort' ended in your death rather than that of your opponent. That said they're very effective in the right hands, or against any horde.

Just to counter Amarel's unending negativity when it comes to The Viktoria's; they were my first crew and I certainly have no regrets. They are straightforward, but do require a certain finesse to play them well.

Hang on now. You've referred to me as having "unending negativity" towards the Vik's and then made the exact same point as me. Unless you're also calling yourself out (and in which I'd rather not be complicit in your issues :)) that makes no sense.

I like the Viktorias a lot, I've played them a lot (and against a good number of Masters). I've lost with them and won with them. This doesn't mean that they're something they're not; and what they are, are glass cannons that thrive on taking out the lesser masses but can struggle when matched up against a tough opponent (which isn't always ideal for someone getting into the game fresh).

Honest appraisal should never be confused with "unending negativity", in the same way that constant positivity should not be assumed to be due to slack-jawed idiocy.

Maybe “unending negativity” was a little harsh, and if it came across as being rude, I apologies, but from this thread (and to be fair, a good few others on the Outcast board) many of your posts do tend to paint The Viks in a rather unfavourable light. I am all for honest appraisal, but when you then go on to say “I definitely wouldn’t go for the Viks”, I just thought I should provide a different point of view.

Whilst I agree that The Viks are glass cannons, I have never found it to be an issue. To me, telling someone not to play them as they are fragile, is a bit like saying don’t play Tina as she is useless in melee or don’t play Lilith as she is not very good when it comes to shooting... Its just intrinsic part of the crew that makes up their style of play, but nothing that would stop you from wanting to start them and to be honest something that even a newcomer to the game should be able to work out how to mitigate fairly quickly.

when I worked for the Evil Empire we always had to try to let the newby do the first kill of the battle when we ran a intro. One thing I can say about the Viks is you might not win but you do get to kill sh*t fast.

But I'm hardly one to speak. my first Master was Kirai, because she sounded like a hard Master to run. Not only that but she really doesn't run straight out of the pack, you need at least double that to even touch her.