trying to decide on first army

shahryar

I pretty much settled on arcanists, model wise I tend not to play as grotesque looking models or else I might have gone resserectionists(why are there never any good guy necros)

However I am trying to decide between Collette and Rasputina.

Can anyone tell me a bit about these to, or is there a webpage that describes what they do?(like battlecollege for warmachine?)

The only thing I remember is rasputina is about ricocheting spells off her constructs

Collette and Rasputina are two interesting choices,

Basic run down on the two for more info check there tactica

Rasputina: out of the two I own this one, and she is cool. Her two big things are using Ice mirror to be able to bounce some of her spells, and Overpower, Overpower is a trigger that lets you cast a spell more then once without spending an action, as long as you have a mask in the total or you cast Biting Chill. Biting chill is a really good spell, I took Lady J down to one wound with casting this spell over and over and only using one AP. Rasputina just got really good with the 2nd book she gained two vary powerful models. The snow storm is a really good model and I cant wait to buy it, it also has overpower witch is sweet. The silent ones are good because they can heal.

I also run the rattler in her list, she is an odd one but don’t limit her to the snow themed models or you will be cutting yourself off of some really helpful models. The gunsmith for example is a great add to a Rasputina list.

Collette. I don’t own her nor have I played her but her list is a mix of speed and tricky stuff. You use her and some of the faster models to swing about killing stuff and swapping around. Collette is one of the only master that can make soul stones so she also has a resource management side to her lists that make them a bit more interesting, she can also make doves that allow other show girls to use soul stones and they also explode. Collette is a good model but her tactics are a bit more tricky to understand and use, it will take a game or 4 before you will truly get a feel for what she can do and what her abilities are used for.

I pretty much settled on arcanists, model wise I tend not to play as grotesque looking models or else I might have gone resserectionists(why are there never any good guy necros)

However I am trying to decide between Collette and Rasputina.

Can anyone tell me a bit about these to, or is there a webpage that describes what they do?(like battlecollege for warmachine?)

The only thing I remember is rasputina is about ricocheting spells off her constructs

TL below gave some really sound advice.

I can tell you that Rasputina is a VERY shooty master. She's not a fan of getting close to anyone, ever. Because if she does they'll usually tie her up in combat. Preventing her from shooting (or casting spells, that is!) and/or killing her. Rasputina needs a good supporting crew with which to pin her opponents in place (lucky she's got gamin!) and then some supporting minions to help whack nasty opponents. If you like shooting/casting, a lot, then Rasputina will make you happy.

Colette is a great master. She's very tricky and can really mess with your opponent's crew. She does suffer a bit from having very bad matchups with melee centric crews (like the Nephilim, or Lady J boobs) because her models tend to not put out a lot of damage. On the upside, her models are VERY fast. Suckers are hard to pin down. Really hard. Typically though, if they're getting hit, it's bad new bears for you.

Rasputina is definitely an easier master to play than Colette, but that's because 'Tina is more straightforward and more able to directly influence the lines of battle. Colette has some very useful skills, though, and has a very unique crew. I'm trying to give you a good idea of both, not sway your opinion one way or another.

d

From some of the threads below, you'll see that I don't yet have a complete handle on Colette, and I've never played Rasputina, but hey, here goes.

'Tina is a spellcaster, plain and simple. She fits the "squishy wizard" archetype pretty well and likes to sit back behind some Ice Pillars and use her Frozen Heart models to cast spells. Her force is not particularly quick in general unless you take Snow Storm, but they're the closest thing to an Arcanist gunline you're going to find currently.

Colette, on the other hand, plays fast and loose. The playstyle I've adopted with her is something like "get 5 VPs turn 2, try to stay alive the rest of the game." The really frightening thing about her force's speed is that it's so deceptive--she can swap models within 18" around like crazy, and Cassie and the Coryphee Duet can cover a ridiculous amount of ground while making melee strikes all the way. However, the Showgirls require a fairly high number of soulstones to work well--good thing they can make them.

I'm admittedly biased towards the Showgirls, since they seem to fit in Malifaux better than the Cult of December. But that's my own foibles--they're both good crews.