New player needs help building Res list

Greetings, Wyrd World!

I am just getting into Malifaux, and I was immediately drawn to the Ressurectionists. It was literally last night that I committed to start playing, and I wanted some help before I started buying up all sorts of miniatures that I may not use.

For the record: I am completely unfamiliar with the rules, and I have scanned the other posts in regards to list building, but I wanted to get some advice from the old veterans.

I think that I am going to start with the Redchapel crew box (Shamus and crew), and I am wondering where to go from there to get to a nice 25-35 point range. Everyone seems to be all aflutter about the canine corpses, so I was thinking about picking up some of those as well. Additionally, I might start with a Copycat Killer, as it seems to work with Shamus. Since the consensus seems to be that Bette Noir is an amazing damage-dealer, I thought about picking her up as well.

Finally, the consensus seems to be that the Nurses are overpriced and underpowered, but I really like their miniatures, so I would like to include at least one.

Help me out- I don't want to waste money on models that are going to gather dust, but I also want to put together a solid crew that will help me learn the game (and school my opponents at my LGS who are starting along with me).

Greetings, Wyrd World!

I am just getting into Malifaux, and I was immediately drawn to the Ressurectionists. It was literally last night that I committed to start playing, and I wanted some help before I started buying up all sorts of miniatures that I may not use.

For the record: I am completely unfamiliar with the rules, and I have scanned the other posts in regards to list building, but I wanted to get some advice from the old veterans.

I think that I am going to start with the Redchapel crew box (Shamus and crew), and I am wondering where to go from there to get to a nice 25-35 point range. Everyone seems to be all aflutter about the canine corpses, so I was thinking about picking up some of those as well. Additionally, I might start with a Copycat Killer, as it seems to work with Shamus. Since the consensus seems to be that Bette Noir is an amazing damage-dealer, I thought about picking her up as well.

Finally, the consensus seems to be that the Nurses are overpriced and underpowered, but I really like their miniatures, so I would like to include at least one.

Help me out- I don't want to waste money on models that are going to gather dust, but I also want to put together a solid crew that will help me learn the game (and school my opponents at my LGS who are starting along with me).

I'd add a pack of punk zombies, canine remains, and a nurse.

To start that gives you some cheap fast moving speed bumps and something that can put out serious damage.

I've done write ups on my site for the three original masters and you can find some solid tactics in the Res forum.

Seamus huh?

Bette Noire for sure, more rotten belles would be nice. Also in the new book, Molly squidpigge is a must for seamus as she helps the belles even more. She unfortunately doesn't have a model yet. I would get a copycat killer for sure.

The nurse is a good model, but I don't think she will help seamus too much. Where you can bring another belle and have an extra soulstones for your pool.

Since Seamus is my main man, a second pack of Belles is good and the Copycat Killer is a must in my book. Until Molly and the new Totem comes out, that would give you a good start with the Box set. And the Res forum has allot of really good stuff for how to effectively use him. I will say that the hardest Strategy for those models seems to Reconnoiter though. I hate when I flip that one.

Since Seamus is my main man, a second pack of Belles is good and the Copycat Killer is a must in my book. Until Molly and the new Totem comes out, that would give you a good start with the Box set. And the Res forum has allot of really good stuff for how to effectively use him. I will say that the hardest Strategy for those models seems to Reconnoiter though. I hate when I flip that one.

The best chance for Reconnoiter is to spam cheap models like necropunks and canine remains. If you run the dogs in packs you can get anywhere, it just becomes a game of running away alot.

Running a nurse with Seamus can make him almost unkillable.

Alos be sure to keep a relatively full pool of stones, you're going to want to burn them to make sure your gun does damage.

Wow, thanks for the response guys! I think I am going to like being a part of this gaming community!

Alright, based on your recommendations, I will pick up the Seamus box, some Canine Remains, the Copycat Killer, A Nurse (just to test her out), and perhaps Bette Noir.

A couple of quick questions- do I have to run the Madame in order to run the Belles? Also- how many Canine Remains would you recommend?

A couple of quick questions- do I have to run the Madame in order to run the Belles? Also- how many Canine Remains would you recommend?

You don't need to run Madame Sybelle with the Belles, she is good and does help them somewhat but no requirement whatsoever.

Canine Remains only cost two stones each, you would probably be best to get just one pack at first and see how you go. Also, don't worry about them dying, at 2 stones they are amongst the cheapest friendly models which can create corpse counters to summon more Belle's.

Welcome along, hope you enjoy the game as much as most of us around here.

Ok, first of all, I think you picked the right box to start with. The redchapel box is a good 25ss army to start with, and I'd advise you to try out the game with just that before any other purchases.

if you want to build things up slowly, I'd go with this.

First purchase: Box set and rules.

After that, if you like the game, pick up Bete and two dogs, and leave a belle out of your starting army for summoning (seamus can summon belles from dead bodies. Dogs are good at making bodies of themselves, and are cheap, which is why people love them.)

If you want to go even further, and like the theme of your army, punk zombies and one more pack of belles would be good, as the punks work well with belles (belles can lure an enemy model towards them, a popular and effective tactic is keeping a punk zombie in front of her and luring them into him. Punks are melee machines, so when they activate they can have a full turn of slicing up the enemy.)

Nice- thanks. I'm not in love with the punk zombie minis, but I might pick them up someday anyway. I've done enough research (and seen enough of the rules and gameplay) at this point to be reasonably sure that I am going to like the game, so I am going to pick up about 45pts starting off. Even if I am not in love with the game, I am primarily a painter and modeler, and I have high hopes for these minis.

Here are my initial purchases (to occur later this week via the war store)

-Seamus Box

-Rules Books and Fate Deck

-Bette Noir

-Nurses

-2 packs of canine corpses

-Copycat Killer

-extra pack of Belles (for summoning)

My theoretical starting 25 SS crew would be...

Seamus

Copycat Killer

Bette Noir

Nurse

2X Rotten Belles

Since the consensus seems to be that belles and Seamus do not have enough damage output on their own, Bette and a Nurse could help boost my damage output. I worry about a limited number of corpses generated by my crew, but hopefully my opponents will provide those (my local metagame, all of whom are starting along with me, are all Guild and Outcast so far, and non-constructs at that).

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Is that a good starting crew, or should I just run Belle spam until I get a little more experience?