December Acolyte From the Shadows

The Madman

This came up in my game against Madman last night. He had originally assumed that 'In the Shadows' was in effect at the beginning of every turn, while I contended that it only takes effect once, at the beginning of the game, and the first time he makes any sort of attack, then the benefits go away for the rest of the game. Can someone clarify? The wording in the rule book/card isn't really clear.

From the Shadows only works during initial Deployment.

From the Errata here:

From the Shadows

Replace description with: “This model may be deployed after all other models, in or behind any terrain more than 12” away from an enemy, or the objective of any strategy or scheme. This model may not be targeted by Charges or ranged attacks until it takes an Action other than Pass if deployed this way. If multiple models with this ability are in play players alternate deploying them using the deployment order for Crews.”

From the Shadows only works during initial Deployment.

From the Errata here:

Well, to be fair, you can't be charged or targetted by Ranged attacks during initial deployment anyways, so that doesn't fully answer our question.

The rules don't specifically state that it permanently ends for the rest of the game after the first time the Acolyte does something other than Pass. That's what we were looking to clarify. I assumed that this is how it worked, but Madman and others had read it differently.

if you read the whole thing that was quoted it specifially states how long it lasts:

This model may not be targeted by Charges or ranged attacks until it takes an Action other than Pass if deployed this way. If multiple models with this ability are in play players alternate deploying them using the deployment order for Crews.”

if you read the whole thing that was quoted it specifially states how long it lasts:

Yes, we understood that, but Madman and others contended that because the ability was on his card, that it took effect at the beginning of each turn, and therefore, during each turn, the Acolyte could not be charged/targeted until it had taken it's action.

I understand why it doesn't work that way, was just to see if there was anything specific to indicate why to help them understand easier.