comments regarding new book

streetsamurai

It is just very specific and it takes a lot of time to learn to use him well.

WOW! So he's good against ONE specific master. When someone tells me "the model requires a lot of finesse to use but he can be good in specific situations" it usually means "yes, it's crap in almost all situations, but I like the model and desperately need to justify taking him in the list despite being a waste of points" :P

As for shooting, here's what I was saying about the trapper. He has 16" range, for 2 shots of Acolyte at CB3 he'll get four shots at CB 5, even if he deals 1 less damage at severe. What's better, unlike the native cannibal tribesman of the mountains, the trapper has scout ability, and ruthless, so he's actually better at moving and shooting because he doesn't need to test WP before kiling tiny furry animals and crying japanese ladies. Oh, and he just happens to have a pulse giving scout to models in 4", which is no small bonus for Arcanists, who, spending most of their time in the wild or on the run from authorities, do NOT have scout. Which is hilarious, because apparently a creature native to malifaux like the rattler, can't move as easily on broken terrain as a witchling stalker, who is merely a broken low-power wizard caught by Sonnia.

I don't want to argue as Trapper is clarly stronger model, but comparing these two is a bit unfair as their role is slightly different. Trapper is a typical sniper whose role is to take good position, shot and push away the enemies, defending your own master if possible. Acolyte however is rather a type of scout to be deployed in the middle of the table, shoot at Masters (and let them use SS), or cast icy fate on them. If playing against specific army (like Nicodemus, Rasputina and Gamlins, Gremlins) he can approach and devour.

I don't want to say he is stronger than trapper, just have a different role and if anyone want to use him as a heavy damage dealer, will be disapointed.

but changing the topic thing that I find quite disapointing in the new book is the Snow Storm. We must pay 11SS (!) for the dude who has 6 Wds, his only way to heal is to kill sb in HtH (or to have close at least 1 Silent One) and in charge he has just 1 attack! Moreover all his abilities let him to improve Damage Flip but not the Attack, so he will always hit with unmodified Cb 6.

All pushing abilities are of course pretty cool, but to use them efficient we must start activtion order with Snow Storm (idea is to move all gamlins and golems closer to let them charge or shoot the enemy). If we do that we need to move Snow Strom forward (allowing enemy shooters to aim him). Even if we assume that the enemy needs 2 turns to shoot the monster down using all his ranged attacks, it is really great opportunity for him.

but changing the topic thing that I find quite disapointing in the new book is the Snow Storm. We must pay 11SS (!) for the dude who has 6 Wds, his only way to heal is to kill sb in HtH (or to have close at least 1 Silent One) and in charge he has just 1 attack! Moreover all his abilities let him to improve Damage Flip but not the Attack, so he will always hit with unmodified Cb 6.

Reread the rules on Spirit to explain why.

I know he is getting just half damage, but still each ranged hit on him is 1 dg and it's not such a big deal to hit him 6 times within 2 rounds. And the chance that he will kill something and regain all his wounds with this only one strike in charge is not big. The only solution is to use him with Silent One, but such combo is imo a bit too expensive.

Yeah, Spirit doesn't help too much when pieces like Johan (Severe dmg) Cassandra (Saber Strike + trigger for spell cast) can possibly kill him with a single AP. Can kill him with 2 APs easily. Just have to play careful with him. I haven't looked at Snow Storm too closely though, so I'm betting there's some other finesse to him that you're missing. Plus, he has Eat Your Fill, right? Being a Spirit and then getting to heal all those wounds...will make him a REAL pain against non-Magic weapons.