Buy in tournament?

carbon

Hey Wyrd Community someone at my local hobby shop decided to do a fantasy Batallion Beat down (see here: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/310186.page)(in short its where every one buys a batallion box and makes a 500 point list with that and plays a tournament with it) and I really liked the idea but I have zero interest in WH Fantasy. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas as to how I could organize a Malifaux one. I am kind of stumped how to do it since each box is a different cost. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Carbon

Hi Carbon!

If you're talking money wise, there's probably not much to do for it (Unless you have a store owner who's willing to take a little bit of a hit in hopes of making future sales, and is willing to discount some of the boxes).

Points wise, most of the boxes are going to be able to hit the 25 SS point, although some will end up short (but will have the extra soulstones to affect the game later). In order to possibly give people a better ability to modify and choose what they're playing, you could go for a 20 SS battle. Most boxes should hit 20+ SS (Except for Som'er Teeth), which gives room for force customization and having a couple extra SS's.

~ SemanticDM

Well right now im just thinking about ideas on how this could work. Maybe it could be something like 20 bucks plus price of box and it nets you Rising Powers and a new rising powers box. Input on that? Right now any ideas are helpfull because I can not really think of anything that would work out. Maybe we could get a mod post and they will tell me how to do it ;)

A lot depends on the store owner and the participants. If the participants are willing to pay different prices for boxed sets, you're golden. If the owner is willing to find a baseline for the boxes and take a loss on a few of the boxes, you're golden. The prices on the boxed sets are:

BODY THIEVES BOX SET - MCMOURNING $36

BORN ON THE BAYOU BOX SET $35

CULT OF DECEMBER - CREW $31

GREMLIN BOX SET (SOM'ER TEETH) $37

LEGION OF SORROW - CREW $32

LILITH'S BROOD - CREW $34

MERCENARIES BOX SET (THE VIKTORIAS) $38

MINERS AND STEAMFITTERS UNION - CREW $35

ORDER OF THE CHIMERA - CREW $32

ORTEGA GUNSLINGERS BOX SET (PERDITA) $38

SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE BOX SET $43

THE DEATH MARSHALS - CREW $34

THE DESOLATE AND THE SOULLESS $45

THE HAG'S PUPPETS (ZORAIDA) $38

THE REDCHAPPEL GANG - CREW $31

THE SHOW GIRLS $39

THE UNDERTAKERS LOT - CREW $28

THE WITCH HUNTERS - CREW $31

Thats a $17 gap between boxes. And that price does not reflect their effectiveness in a tourney setting, necessarily. So, an evening of the field at $28 means almost a 40% deficit on the more expensive boxes. Most stores don't get that much of a markup.

Second, you owner would have to commit to having either multiple copies of each box or you have to register weeks ahead of time with your boxed set selection to make sure the owner will have them in stock (most will not commit more than a week out from an event.

Third, you would be ostracizing players who already have the crew(s) of their choice.

A solution I would offer is:

1) Players must register at (insert your local Games store here).

2) Player must register their faction as well.

3) Cost is $50 (or pick an amount with your owner)and must be paid before the date of the tourney. Fee will be applied to Malifaux product bought (or ordered) for the tourney at (insert local Games store here) and one copy of Rising Powers. Any left over funds will be applied to prize for tourney. The earlier you register and pay, the more likely you will get the models you want by the tourney. The owners will do their best to get your product in by the tourney. However, shipping and supply at our distributor will impact the chances. So, register early!

4) Players may use any Wyrd minis they own, from their selected factinon, at the time of the tourney.

This is a great option for new players and players that already have a crew (as they can use the $50 to add some blisters to their current faction or start a new faction). The owner isn't eating any cost and may even have some leftovers for the prize.

Edited by Shadowopal

If I was going to run this tournament here is what I'd do.

Everyone purchases a box from your FLGS, randomly match up your particapants in two's. Each pair plays a game at the lower of the two point values possible with the boxes. This goes on for however many rounds is nessacary to get a winner.

I'd also probably remove the restrictions on number of soulstones for this event.

Personally I don't think style of tournament will work so well. The box sets are just not that evenly matched. Not just point value but by model selection

Take a look at McMornings box set as a good example of a starter box that isn't really fun to play out of the box.

A better option would be buy a box set and one(or possibly two) blisters of minis. and build an crew from that. That should be enough for everyone to bring 30 SS to the game and give enough mix and match to make it entertaining.

I actually like this idea and I may end up doing something like this. However I might wait till Puppet Wars comes out and see if I can get a big release party thing and I will bring food for it.

A solution I would offer is:

1) Players must register at (insert your local Games store here).

2) Player must register their faction as well.

3) Cost is $50 (or pick an amount with your owner)and must be paid before the date of the tourney. Fee will be applied to Malifaux product bought (or ordered) for the tourney at (insert local Games store here) and one copy of Rising Powers. Any left over funds will be applied to prize for tourney. The earlier you register and pay, the more likely you will get the models you want by the tourney. The owners will do their best to get your product in by the tourney. However, shipping and supply at our distributor will impact the chances. So, register early!

This is a great option for new players and players that already have a crew (as they can use the $50 to add some blisters to their current faction or start a new faction). The owner isn't eating any cost and may even have some leftovers for the prize.

I ran my initial tournament as starter box only and didn't worry about the SS difference. Most of the low SS boxes are quite powerful regardless (e.g. lilly and LJ) and with newer players the expensive ones (like Ramos) need finesse a new player probably won't have.

The only exception I made was if your starter made or summoned something for free (e.g. gremlins, ressers or voodoo doll) you could bring up to 2 models to represent it/them (though if you have any experienced players who are inclined to be turkeys i'd restrict those summons for ressers to low-SS models only))