Any guides to making Zoraida's crew?

RitualNet

I've just received my Zoraida set (and voodoo doll, gods that is fiddly, I don't think one of the pins will last!), and after filing down the mould lines, I noticed that the Bad JuJu is a little... difficult to piece together. Even after I've figured out the right position, there's big gaps under the arm and around the hand. I was just wondering if anyone's done a photo shoot of putting the models together, or could give me some info, tools I'll need etc?

The most I've done in regards to building figures is glueing some plastic 40k Guardsmen together, so I'm pretty low on modelling skills.

I've just received my Zoraida set (and voodoo doll, gods that is fiddly, I don't think one of the pins will last!), and after filing down the mould lines, I noticed that the Bad JuJu is a little... difficult to piece together. Even after I've figured out the right position, there's big gaps under the arm and around the hand. I was just wondering if anyone's done a photo shoot of putting the models together, or could give me some info, tools I'll need etc?

The most I've done in regards to building figures is glueing some plastic 40k Guardsmen together, so I'm pretty low on modelling skills.

Go buy yourself some Green Stuff to fill in gaps. It's 2-part epoxy that cures after a couple of hours. You can make a greenstuff "sandwich" and squish it between the two pieces you're trying to attach for a better fit.

I like to:

1. put a drop of glue on one side

2. piece together and pull apart to get a small amount of glue on both sides

3. put a tiny ball of green stuff on the tab

4. Smoosh the pieces together

5. Scrape off excess GS or resculpt to match texture for huge gaps

6. wait overnight for model to cure

It's worked almost as well as pinning for me.

I use the soft green putty that comes in toothpaste-esque tubes for gap filling. it's vastly better to smooth out mold cracks and base gaps.

I've only had to pin one model.. which was the warpig as it does not have any base tabs. I find that "Insta-Set" works wonders when assembling models.

I just got to find a decent pin vise (the one from gale force 9 seems good, less hard on the hand when drilling) for a good price. I have Milliput (used some to make my first base, which looks more like a wall than cobbles sadly), so I can use that for the sqush-y-ness. I'm not much good at this kind of stuff, but I figure other people might have problems, so if I document what I do (and hopefully it turns out remotely ok), then other people can see. Maybe could have a section where you can view pictures and read-mes to assemble your faction boxes?

Picked up a Pin Vise. GW's own brand, £1.50 or so more expensive than the cheap ones on Maelstrom, however it feels nice in the hand. Drilled the holes for Bad JuJu, just need to get some paperclips, superglue, and the daunting task of green-stuffing his "cavities".

If it's the newish GW pin vice it probably won't last too long. It has the nice rubber parts so your hands wont hurt too much but atleast mine was a bit poopy otherwise. I bought mine maybe two years ago so they might have fixed it a little (yeah right).

The rubber part in the middle came loose after maybe three miniatures. After that I had to take it off as it just slipped around and I couldn't drill anymore. The metal underneath isn't properly grooved and grippy and feels a bit strange on your finger tips.

Also the thingy that's supposed to hold the drill bit is rounded a little from the corners inside so it would fit snuggly all around the drill bits. The problem is that the hole it leaves when tightened as much as possible is huge. At least mine could just barely hold the ~1mm drill bits that came along the pin vice. Anything smaller will just drop out. Even the 1mm drill bits sometimes stick to the miniature and the pin vice keeps turning around the bit.

Their old one was more similar to the ones PP sells, probably similar to GF9. It's harder on the hands but at least it can hold a drill bit of any size you want. They should have just fixed the handle on the old one. The drill bits that came along the GW pin vice are quite good though. The PP ones aren't sharp enough or the angle is all wrong but they just don't seem to bore into the metal too well (at least the .50mm and .85mm).

Solution: Buy an el-cheapo pin vice that can actually hold a drill bit properly. If your hands are soft like a babys buttock, glue/tape/attach some soft material to the end of the pin vice so your hands won't hurt. Buy some real drill bits from a hardware store. The ones they use for drilling PWBs are quite good quality and come in various sizes. This would probably give you the ultimate holy grail of pin vices.

(Or just take the drill bit holder from a cheap proper pin vice, fit it in your GW one and if the rubber part comes loose, glue it place with epoxy.)

Edited by Joona

• 2 months later...

Gah, sorry for the long return. I've just finished Uni (FOR GOOD! bwahahaha!) so I'm going to start on my crew tonight. Typical, I've had them since nearly launch, not played the game at all, and now there's (hot) new figures coming out. I actually did 'lol' when looking at the gremlin 'Ortega' figures... the pig providing counter-weight to the repeater rifle!

I'll set up my camera and take pictures as I'm putting JuJu and co together, and then slap them up somewhere if anyone's interested. Will be nice to actually *try* this game. Although, I have to admit, with how cute the new gremlins are, I might be able to get my partner into it, and finally get a game in!