Questions about Iron 'Terrain Builder'

So, if we run an Iron Painter-esque contest, but use Terrain building instead of painting, how would you like to see the format?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

IE, what kind of themes, size restrictions, using precast terrain pieces ok?, etc. etc.

I'd love to hear what you all think.

Yay, Iron Terrain Builder! :D

I would run an ITP comp similar to the Terragenesis comps. (LINK) Their rules give a broad theme (similar to IP) that can be interpreted many different ways, and that generally is the only requirement. Sometimes the themes do have certain criteria such as "must fit on a CD" or "must be at least twice as tall as it is wide," but they still remain pretty open-ended. (again. like IP) Also, the terrain can usually be from any genre, although a "Malifaux-themed" comp could potentially be fun.

Each round should last for maybe two weeks, which should give the contestants enough time to do a decent sized piece while still limiting the size somewhat.

Pre-cast pieces would probably be OK to use, but only if a majority of the terrain piece is scratch-built. (i.e. I would allow someone to use, say, pre-cast windows, but not an entire resin building - unless it was significantly modified, that is.)

For judging, I would do it almost identically to IP, with categories of something like originality, theme, and craftsmanship.

I worked up a bunch of ideas when I was working on this @6-12 months ago (way to totally procrastinate that one pete). I'll look for it over the weekend and send you what I have. From what I remember I bascially just went through all the threads and compiled the ideas.

I'll check when I get home tonight.

If there is an Iron Terrain Builder contest, will there be secret ingredients you have to use like on Iron Chef? I'm not talking about the overall theme of the terrain piece, which of course would be part of the contest, but something you'd have to use in the piece. Nothing wretched, like fish bones or eggshells, or anything that would start to smell after a couple days (not including the builder, of course, because, let's face it, somedays, we just don't feel like taking a shower), but like plastic (water) bottles, string/twine/dental floss...?

Nothing wretched, like fish bones or eggshells, or anything that would start to smell after a couple days (not including the builder, of course, because, let's face it, somedays, we just don't feel like taking a shower), but like plastic (water) bottles, string/twine/dental floss...?

Believe it or not, I use eggshells to great effect.

You do have to clean them very well but they make GREAT shale like rock formations.

Just saying...

If there is an Iron Terrain Builder contest, will there be secret ingredients you have to use like on Iron Chef? I'm not talking about the overall theme of the terrain piece, which of course would be part of the contest, but something you'd have to use in the piece. Nothing wretched, like fish bones or eggshells, or anything that would start to smell after a couple days (not including the builder, of course, because, let's face it, somedays, we just don't feel like taking a shower), but like plastic (water) bottles, string/twine/dental floss...?

That's a very clever idea....Me likey!