New Crews?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the idea of vampires/werewolves/etc.--How about a faction of 'monsters' from Earth trying to establish a foothold in Malifaux to gain power? (Gotta do something to balance out the rise of all those pesky human spell casters...)

I like the Flying Spaghetti Monster faction idea. (Pirates for minions...) :D

Hmm...pirates...or rather, some sort of outlaw master for the Outcasts. Sort of a professional claim jumper/Soulstone thief type.

How about an Investigator/Archaeologist faction. (Kind of like a scholarly version of the Arcanists that's bent on bringing as many secrets/lost facts/artifacts/etc. to light as possible.)

Just a few ideas.

Soon we shall see what their evil scheme really is...

It would be very difficult to build it in scale with the way it is described in the book, but I think some artistic license would be acceptable.

I would love to see something like that, definitely a good idea.

HOw about Vampires and Werewolves?

That's just no and no. In my opinion (and evidently not only mine) they really wouldn't fit in Malifaux.

How about some Native American Indian style characters? I could imagine some savage kinda guy with a winchester and tomahawk. :P

Edited by Talishko

I really don't see how werewolves and vampires don't fit into Malifaux, care to explain? Or are we dealing with more people that feel insecure about liking them because of Twilight?

You can say they're 'cliche' but it's not like necromancers and zombies have never been done before. Or gunslingers, or gremlins aka bayou goblins.

However wyrd has gone a long ways in making those cliches into their own concepts, and I don't see why they couldn't do the same with vampires and werewolves, something that fit easily into a victorian/western/horror setting.

For the guild I am curious if they will go for a ghost hunter idea or a just a group that deals with the convicts. However, if they add in the governor general I will do a Charlie's Angles conversion.

For the Neverborn I would like to see an unseen horrors of Malifaux idea before they went to the vamps and wolves. Something like a tentacle coming up from underneath a bed or something. Force the imagination to fill in the gaps even when you had a mini.

For the Arcanists I think of Vegas so having a Gambler/loan shark master might be neat.

For the resers I am thinking a Black Widow. It will give them the female they need and also be neat watching her be followed around by her husbands. Also if that ever comes out I promise to only sing songs from Herman's Hermits for the first week or so of release. (I am Henry the eighth I am!)

Noooooooo... After that it would surely be Elves, Dwarves, Orcs and Gigantic Battles with a Gazillion Plastic Miniatures. And more Japanese stuff too...

Elves would be fantastic, but only dark elves (neverborn)

Normal elves could of been from old malifaux, and due to war with the god of old malifaux, they ether died out or became dark elves.

Dwarves, the neverborn have constructs, who do you think made them

Vampires, the greatist vampires (dracula, nosferatu, extra, extra) which gothic victorian horror, Nuff said.

Werewolves, could work with marcus (like warpwolves in hordes), or in the cult of December, but they have Wendigos (and due to twilight are Wendigos better than werewolves)

Orcs/goblins, too similar to Gremlins, but could still work

Japanese, Yes please

Gazillion Plastic Miniatures, no, metal only, plastic is too cheap, and not detailed enough

Elves would be fantastic, but only dark elves (neverborn)

Normal elves could of been from old malifaux, and due to war with the god of old malifaux, they ether died out or became dark elves.

Dwarves, the neverborn have constructs, who do you think made them

Vampires, the greatist vampires (dracula, nosferatu, extra, extra) which gothic victorian horror, Nuff said.

Werewolves, could work with marcus (like warpwolves in hordes), or in the cult of December, but they have Wendigos (and due to twilight are Wendigos better than werewolves)

Orcs/goblins, too similar to Gremlins, but could still work

Japanese, Yes please

Gazillion Plastic Miniatures, no, metal only, plastic is too cheap, and not detailed enough

To much like warhammer for me.

Yep... All of those things have been done a million times before and there's not much Wyrd could do to make them "original"...

Completely agree. I love the imagination all those at Wyrd have pumped into this game and trust they have plenty more to keep it fresh. Would hate to see anything that pushes Malifaux towards the more generic tabletop miniature games.

Completely agree. I love the imagination all those at Wyrd have pumped into this game and trust they have plenty more to keep it fresh. Would hate to see anything that pushes Malifaux towards the more generic tabletop miniature games.

True that's i didn't mention them earlier and why i said Vampiries instead, i relly want to see Wyrd take on Dragons, it mention that some nepililm breath fire in the rule book, that and frost dragon would pretty cool with december

Edit

Frost -> cool sorry, didn't notice

Edit2

Steam powered samurai bikers, for outcasts

Edited by Sliver Chocobo
opps

I really don't see how werewolves and vampires don't fit into Malifaux, care to explain? Or are we dealing with more people that feel insecure about liking them because of Twilight?

You can say they're 'cliche' but it's not like necromancers and zombies have never been done before. Or gunslingers, or gremlins aka bayou goblins.

However wyrd has gone a long ways in making those cliches into their own concepts, and I don't see why they couldn't do the same with vampires and werewolves, something that fit easily into a victorian/western/horror setting.

It's not about recent movies or clichés, I do like vampire and werewolf stories, used to play a lot of WoD and I am a fan of Japanese takes as well (Vampire Hunter: D, Hellsing, etc.). I just simply can't see this line going down that road.

We have a pretty solid background story for this game. Everything inhuman originates from Malifaux. Earthside had it's own weak magic, but nothing special (and I can't recall any mention of horror there either).

When these humans (Guild) entered the magically much more potential Malifaux, they have met the original inhabitants taking the form of their own nightmares (The Neverborn); and some renegade groups started to study the original magic forms of the city (Arcanists and Resurrectionists). This is how the 4 main factions take place. Apart from this we have a misc. section that didn't fit any of the others. They are lonewolfs, hired guns and some other old inhabitants of the land (Outcasts).

Where in this setting would you put vampires and werewolves without sticking out?

Besides, there's already 4 factions for the four sources of power / suits of cards so I don't see much chance of a new faction other than a new outcast master.

Edit:

Of course if Wyrd will make new faction/factions or Vampires and Werewolves I will like the game just as much, but it would ruin the fluff (for me that is).

Edited by Talishko

It's not about recent movies or clichés, I do like vampire and werewolf stories, used to play a lot of WoD and I am a fan of Japanese takes as well (Vampire Hunter: D, Hellsing, etc.). I just simply can't see this line going down that road.

We have a pretty solid background story for this game. Everything inhuman originates from Malifaux. Earthside had it's own weak magic, but nothing special (and I can't recall any mention of horror there either).

When these humans (Guild) entered the magically much more potential Malifaux, they have met the original inhabitants taking the form of their own nightmares (The Neverborn); and some renegade groups started to study the original magic forms of the city (Arcanists and Resurrectionists). This is how the 4 main factions take place. Apart from this we have a misc. section that didn't fit any of the others. They are lonewolfs, hired guns and some other old inhabitants of the land (Outcasts).

Where in this setting would you put vampires and werewolves without sticking out?

Besides, there's already 4 factions for the four sources of power / suits of cards so I don't see much chance of a new faction other than a new outcast master.

Edit:

Of course if Wyrd will make new faction/factions or Vampires and Werewolves I will like the game just as much, but it would ruin the fluff (for me that is).

Werewolves are perfect for the cult of december, and for Marcus (human/wolf hybrid, so Arcanists)

Vampires are undead, so Resurrectionists, make vampire master, add the vampire subtype, give the master a spell similar to "arise my sweet" (but with vampire instead of belles) make some vampes Job done, fuff wise, the evoultion of necromancy. everyone stands out in Malifaux. none of the master anything at all like each other, which means standing out from the rest is a good thing, new stuff shoudn't be too similar to what we already have

hmmm, yes, if only there were a group of models in the game who drained the blood of their fallen foes to grow more powerful.

Or a character who could use the powers of the beast and to transform into a beast themselves...

:flute:

I can't think of ANYTHING that fits that description... maybe it will be in book 2? :D

hmmm, yes, if only there were a group of models in the game who drained the blood of their fallen foes to grow more powerful.

That being Lilith's brood...

Or a character who could use the powers of the beast and to transform into a beast themselves...

:flute:

And that is the Order of the Chimera.

So let's just mash these groups together, rename it and we have a third one for vampire fans. Great idea.

This is exactly what I do not expect from Wyrd. And I believe that you guys have much more up your sleeves than to be forced to do this.

Edited by Talishko

Werewolves are perfect for the cult of december, and for Marcus (human/wolf hybrid, so Arcanists)

Vampires are undead, so Resurrectionists, make vampire master, add the vampire subtype, give the master a spell similar to "arise my sweet" (but with vampire instead of belles) make some vampes Job done, fuff wise, the evoultion of necromancy. everyone stands out in Malifaux. none of the master anything at all like each other, which means standing out from the rest is a good thing, new stuff shoudn't be too similar to what we already have

So your solution would be to have a clone-Marcus for werewolf and a clone-Seamus for vampire so that they fit in.

As above, we have seen better then this from Wyrd, and expect to see more in the future.

If the neverborn shape human nightmares (and are formed from them too), then why not put any weres and vamps in the Neverborn section? Both can be minions, the werewolf is a tainted wendigo, where the vampire is a human infected with a neverborn and forced to drink from another human. Vamps can take and use blood counters to heal or "power up", werewolves could have the ability to use secondary 'attacks', but at the cost of wounds (as changing is not a happy experience).

I think this stuff can be added, but it needs a malifaux twist. A vampire has to be a twisted, pitiful creature (think more a ghoul), that is easily dominated, but it can do a really powerful willpower attack on humans. Another thing would be, if corpse counters are on the field, they have to take WP tests (considering their weak WP) otherwise they charge to the nearest one to feed.

Ok, I give up, they can fit in Malifaux. I didn't try and change the idea of a vampire or a werewolf to Malifaux, but the other way around and I didn't like it. I still don't really like the idea, but I don't have to like every bits and bobs to enjoy the game.

And after all it's still only fan fiction. :)

The thing is, I don't think we need them, just was looking at how they could fit. Hell, if you had enough time you could shoe-horn an elf into 40k... oh wait they did. Nevermind. :P

The problem is, there's so many games out there, it's going to become a bit more difficult as time goes on to make new figures or crews without hitting something that has been done before. However, I'd love to see "rat-men", or something similar.

So your solution would be to have a clone-Marcus for werewolf and a clone-Seamus for vampire so that they fit in.

As above, we have seen better then this from Wyrd, and expect to see more in the future.

No not a marcus clone, but marcus himself

and for vampires, I ment somthing similar to that one spell, the rest of that master would be total different, however after reading Eric's I relised that vampires are to similar to ether nephilim or Zombies, so there not needed (expt perhapes undead Nephilim, which will never happen)

I think taking the Neverborn Que from the Nephilim & Doppelganger could mean more in the line of further types of demons and evil religous spirits.

Maybe something like Loki the Trickster from Norse mythology.

I personally would find this direction more interesting than archetypal horror creatures, but I do understand that would just be a personal preference.