Pandora vs. Seamus or Predita

wrabbit37

I enjoyed playing Pandora when I put her up on the table, but I'm reading through the rules and finding that there are two masters out there who seem to trump her just by virtue of being played.

Predita, with her See the Unseen ability, will treat Pandora as though she has only a 2 defense, ignoring her Willpower duel before the attack.

Seamus, with his Trail of Fear, is going to keep dropping my army by two Willpower, essentially dropping Pandora's attack and defense by 2.

Am I wrong about either of those? And if I'm not, how does Pandora try to beat them? If the solution is "run away and keep out of sight", that would be disappointing.

Well, for Seamus using Trail of Fear takes his (0) action for the turn so if he is using that he is not raising more Belles. It also forces Seamus to activate early if he wants his crew to gain the benefit, and the rest of the crew has low Wp anyway. He can't companion if he uses the Aura so you get a chance to escape. Also, it's an Aura so you can just move outside the radius and be back to Wp 7. And it doesn't affect Ca so Dora's spells are as nasty as before.

Annoying? Yes. But hardly crippling.

On Perdita: Looking from a different angle, you could say Pandora also strips Perdita of her defenses (Immune to Influence and Df8, which is no use because Pandora only targets Wp). Perdita cannot ignore LoS anymore (Errata) so if there is a fair amount of terrain on board, Pandora should be able to keep away from Perdita or allow her only few shots. Link some Sorrows to tie her in melee and you should be good to go.

Now go play Lady Justice. Her Blind Justice spell gives everyone within a 6" Aura the same ability to ignore the Wp Duel required to target Pandora. With two models on the field casting that (she will bring a Totem) it will be much harder to hide than from Perdita.

And go face Marcus: His Howl action is a Pulse that grants his own crew +3 Wp and all enemies -Wp. How about -6 Wp for Pandora ;P? It's also a pulse so the effect can't be removed by moving away.

-Ropetus

Another tricky thing with Pandora is remember she can move every time a model fails a wp duel that she causes(or something like that). Think about casting your own spells on sorrows to enhance her movement ability.

For Perdita remember she is no longer Immune to influence when Pandora is out. Surround her with Sorrows and cast WP duel spells on her and watch her wounds go down quick.

Think about casting your own spells on sorrows to enhance her movement ability.

Spells has nothing to do with her Fading Memory. It is triggered by won WP-duels. Casting a spell is a simple Ca-duel for Pandora.

However incite/pacify your own models will do the trick. But take into account that these are not spells, so the defender can NOT chose to tie and lose the duel. You can still cheat in a low card anyway.

And yes, Perdita is a nasty b.tch to hunt down for Pandy. And it's not for her See the Unseen. Oh not at all! It's for the Wp6 crew + almost all Stubborn (which is not canceled by the Box Opens) and for the Governor's Proxy. Hard to do anything with Pandy and Sorrows vs. Wp10's all around.

Csonti, that thing about not being able to tie because it's not a spell is interesting, where can I find that?

Because the rules explicitely state you can choose to tie the Duel when Resisting a spell. Nowhere does it state you could do this with anything else but spells.

But as you can almost always cheat low for the other model it's not that bad.

-Ropetus

Because the rules explicitely state you can choose to tie the Duel when Resisting a spell. Nowhere does it state you could do this with anything else but spells.

But as you can almost always cheat low for the other model it's not that bad.

-Ropetus

Alrighty, thank you. I'm not a pandora player so it doesn't affect me too much, But I wanted to be clear.

Spells has nothing to do with her Fading Memory. It is triggered by won WP-duels. Casting a spell is a simple Ca-duel for Pandora.

Weird Sketch has previously ruled that any test that involves using WP for defence counts as a WP-Duel (i.e. If Pandora succeeds in casting any spell on you then you have a lost a WP-Duel and must pay the consequences for doing so).

Weird Sketch has previously ruled that any test that involves using WP for defence counts as a WP-Duel (i.e. If Pandora succeeds in casting any spell on you then you have a lost a WP-Duel and must pay the consequences for doing so).

Yes, resisting a spell is a Wp Duel for the defender. So failing to resist means you suffer damage from Emotional Trauma.

However, for Pandora its not a Wp Duel because she is not using her Wp for the Duel but her Ca. For Pandora casting a spell is a simple Ca Duel so she cannot trigger Fading memory while casting a spell. She must use her Wp for the Duel to trigger which means it happens when she is targeted, when usign Incite/Pacify, when resisting spells, etc. but not casting spells.

-Ropetus

Willpower is used to resist the spells she casts so it is a WP duel. Try the search function, this has been asked at least a million times.

So I did out of interest (learning the game as fast as I can) and I came up with this:

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11309&highlight=duel

7th post by WEiRD sKeTCH seems to state to the contrary - it's not a WP duel win, if someone fails to resist her spell using WP.

Willpower is used to resist the spells she casts so it is a WP duel. Try the search function, this has been asked at least a million times.

And it was ruled that it is not a Wp but a Ca duel for her. Have YOU tried the search function before posting this? Just curious...