Noobie buying help!

Jivewookiee

Hiya all,

Ive been playing WH and 40k for years and recently stumbled across the Malifaux rule book. Im in love with the rules and the setting.

Im heading into my FLGS soon to get 2-3 starter boxes. I was wondering what blisters i would need to round out the starters. The boxes im interested in are as follows.

Pandora's Legion of Sorrow-Love Teddy and the kids, rules wise they seem like a crew that needs a more experienced player, but that will come with actual play. I know ill need Teddy. Any other suggestions?

Seamus' Redchappel Gang-Cant beat dead hookers. What else would I need to make this set more playable?

And I may get (depending how much Pandora and Seamus' boxed sets+blisters cost) Rasputina's Cult of December-I like the winter theme, what more would i need?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jivewookiee

Cant beat dead hookers.

OMG! I almost fell out of my chair! LOL

I am not the person to give advice as I only have one gang [the Bayou Gremlins] and have not gotten to really play the game much, but I will let you know what I think of them once I paly tonight...

Pandora isn't as straight forward as the other masters can be. Teddy will give you a solid starting area (her main issue at the starter level is fixed by teddy) and from there after a few games you can make your own decisions on the crew.

Another blister of dead hookers is first thing I'd recommend for Seamus, plus his totem is an AMAZING model and the rules are really solid as well.

Rasputina loves the essence of power totem, but the wendigo is really cool looking, so thats a toss up. I like running the cat swarm over constructs but that requires a few blisters (2-3 hoar cats and the big guy). The December acolyte is a really solid investment with her (anti undead and helps with the slow speed of her starter). So Tina box plus totem and acolyte is prolly how I'd do it!.

The gremlin starter is a great thing to double up on! Okay maybe not literally but either doubling your gremlin numbers, or the warpig is normally what I'd recommend. A Hog whisperer/piglet, is a welcome addition for the pigs. You certainly can play 25ss with a starter and a hog whisperer blister. From there you can decide if you want the stampeding pigs or the gremlin swarm!

Regards,

Ryan

Hiya all,

Ive been playing WH and 40k for years and recently stumbled across the Malifaux rule book. Im in love with the rules and the setting.

Im heading into my FLGS soon to get 2-3 starter boxes. I was wondering what blisters i would need to round out the starters. The boxes im interested in are as follows.

Pandora's Legion of Sorrow-Love Teddy and the kids, rules wise they seem like a crew that needs a more experienced player, but that will come with actual play. I know ill need Teddy. Any other suggestions?

Seamus' Redchappel Gang-Cant beat dead hookers. What else would I need to make this set more playable?

And I may get (depending how much Pandora and Seamus' boxed sets+blisters cost) Rasputina's Cult of December-I like the winter theme, what more would i need?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jivewookiee

When buying a Noobie its very important to check its teeth and hair. :)

For Pandora. Teddy is a good choice, a 2nd pack of Woes is not a bad idea either. Silurids are not a bad idea to add flexibility to any Neverborn list.

For Seamus. More Bells are good, because you are gonna end up raising more. Punk Zombies are great melee fighters for the price and have some nice synergy with bells(Lure a model into melee range with a belle and then unleash a flury with a punk zombie). Also the copy cat killer is a must

Rasputina. December Acolytes are really good, The Wendigo isn't bad either. There are people here that swear by the Crazy Cat Lady list(Rasputina with Hoar Cats and Cerberus).

Finally for any list don't overlook Mercs. Convict Gunslinger is always a great buy, especially to help out a less shooty list(like Seamus). Ronins are great melee hitters for a good price, They'd help balance out the slowness of a Rasputina list.

Also not to tell you to buy different stuff, but instead of buying 3 starters from 3 different factions it might not be a bad idea to decide to focus on 2 factions. Then you can get two starters from one faction and have a whole bunch of models that can work together. Just a thought.

Pandora isn't as straight forward as the other masters can be. Teddy will give you a solid starting area (her main issue at the starter level is fixed by teddy) and from there after a few games you can make your own decisions on the crew.

Another blister of dead hookers is first thing I'd recommend for Seamus, plus his totem is an AMAZING model and the rules are really solid as well.

Rasputina loves the essence of power totem, but the wendigo is really cool looking, so thats a toss up. I like running the cat swarm over constructs but that requires a few blisters (2-3 hoar cats and the big guy). The December acolyte is a really solid investment with her (anti undead and helps with the slow speed of her starter). So Tina box plus totem and acolyte is prolly how I'd do it!.

Regards,

Ryan

Agreed pretty much with what Wombat said. Though I favor the essence of power totem for Rasputina given what it adds.

For Seamus you might consider a convict gunslinger. As others said more belles are good tho if you will play small games you might not go over 3 in one game. Punk zombies help alot aswell.

In my opinion it's best start with a few only then add everything slowly trying out new minis rather then buy all and then being overwhelmed by a lot of pewter that you don't know what to do with. But to be frank you will end up buying the whole line anyway... We all will. :D

I must disagree with most about Seamus.

I would not buy another blister of the hookers. Since he can raise them anyway I usually only start with 1-2, leaving at least one off the board to be raised. Since there are only 5 cards in the deck which actually allow you to cast "arise my sweet" without using a soul stone, he doesn't raise as much as the other res masters. And you can always bring back belles which were killed, which is just fitting. Not that I would never consider another blister of them, but not right away.

Also, I find the grave spirit to be the far more effective totem with Seamus. It is half the price of the copycat killer and can be linked to Sybil to give her armor 2, and she is rather key. Also, while he is linked he essentially gets free movement, which gives him better range for undead psychosis.

I totally agree with a pack of punk zombies and the convict gunslinger though, he needs some damage out put.

So, I would buy: red chappel starter, convict gunslinger, punk zombies, and the grave spirit. But that's me.

With Rasputina you can go a couple different ways. You could run her with a Sabortooth Cerberus and some Hoarcats, or you could add a December Acolyte to her starter.

Thanks for all the info guys. I was wondering if buying a few different boxed sets with no blisters to get a feel for the game and the factions is a better way to go. My friend is getting the Ortega box but no blisters at the moment, so my blisters would be for naught if I am playing against only a boxed set.

Is this a good way to approach Malifaux? What boxed sets are good on their own?

Jivewookiee

Is this a good way to approach Malifaux? What boxed sets are good on their own?

Almost all the starter boxes are completely playable armies. McMourning is a bit odd(you need dogs or necropunks) and the Gremlins is a bit short on points compared to other models. But the rest are all very playable starter forces.

I'm with Lalochezia regarding Seamus. I started playing Malifaux with the Redchappel Gang but soon realised that they needed a little something extra. From experience, 3 belles are more than enough. The only time that I would have wanted any more was actually this last weekend when during one game there were a sack-full of corpse counters well within reach and a control deck stuffed with high :crows and 3 belles already in play. Oh well, at least I got Slit Jugular off several times!

A blister of punk zombies balances the crew very well, I've had decent success running Seamus, Sybelle, 2 Belles and 2 Punk Zombies in a 25ss game. It also gives you an opportunity to see what works (or doesn't) for you before committing to buying much more. I haven't run the grave spirit yet (not painted) but on paper looks more in-tune with my style than the copycat killer. A further advantage of expanding the Redchappel crew in this manner is that you could easily covert the crew to be led by Nicodem for very little cost if you find you click with the Resurrectionists and want something a little more expansive.

Bear in mind that the Ortega boxed set will come in at 25ss whilst the Redchappel Gang is only 18ss. Obviously you could just add stones to your cache but I'm sure your opponent would prefer to be introduced to the business end of some paired katanas!

I've recently started using Pandora as well. The boxed set is good and more than capable of taking on most other crews, but as WombatCowboy pointed out, Teddy is a great addition and fills the 'maximum physical violence' slot that is currently empty with the starter box. If you can wait a few weeks, the Doppelganger is due to be released and he adds so much to the crew, but again this depends upon your play style and how soon you want to invest.

I can't comment on 'Tina as of yet, as I have to paint what I've already got before I go a get any more (self imposed restriction), otherwise I'll end up like I did in my 40K days with stacks of unpainted and sometimes unopened figures.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy.

Edited by Moros
shockingly bad arithmetic