Quite an epic ending to our very first game

N0rdicNinja

After a month of debating with myself weather or not to purchase it online my FLGS finally received their first shipment of Malifaux products, so I broke down and finally purchased the book. =) And with that I rallied my mates and dragged them into the dungeon (my basement) to get in some proxy games so that we could all get a feel for things over the weekend.

None of us had played before so I decided to play ref for the first game, since I had actually read the rule book, while 2 of my pals threw down and everyone else just watched to attempt to take as much in as they could.

The match up:

Ortega Gunslingers (box set)

Strategy: Slaughter

Schemes: Hold Out, Raid

The Witch Hunters (box set)

Strategy: Reconnoiter

Schemes: Bodyguard, Breakthrough

The ending of the game seriously felt like a classic old west Gunslinger duel! XD The only two models left on the table were Samael Hopkins and Nino Ortega and they were standing in the middle of the open staring right at each other... Both had been injured and we're definitely within range to dedicate all their AP towards shooting. It was obvious that this turn was all about who managed to nab the initiative.

-----

Nino player flips a King onto the table

Nino player points at his opponent

"Ha! Thirteen!"

Samael player nervously flips the Red Joker onto the table

Samael player smiles

"Red Joker!"

Nino player throws his cards at the table

"F***!!!"

-----

Needless to say Nino's head was promptly blown off his shoulders before he had the opportunity to react. Ironically enough however, Samael had 2 more turns to try and make it to the enemies deployment zone but was unable to do so as the game did end on turn 6 leaving him about 2" short. This gave the Ortegas 2 points from Hold Out (he announced it) giving him the victory. So while he lost the battle, he won the war.

Quite the fun way to end our first game of Malifaux ever, when the Red Joker was flipped for initiative the entire room exploded with excitement, literally the ONLY card in the entire deck that could have done it and he pulled it. It was certainly enough to get everyone excited about making purchases. =)