Questions about Arcanists (mostly Marcus)

dboeren

After a lot of hemming and hawing, then a few months of putting Malifaux on the back burner to concentrate on other games, I'm finally getting back into this.

The game has started taking off at our local store and I think I'm finally ready to start purchasing models. I've been round and round about what faction to go with since I tend to like bits and pieces of each one, but I've decided to start with Arcanists, and maybe pick up some other factions Masters down the line that I like.

My first Master is going to be Marcus. I like him because he seems to reward creative play, he's versatile, and he appears to be a bit of an underdog with more people favoring Rasputina and Ramos. I don't mind a learning curve, and I'd rather play someone less predictable anyway.

I was thinking of starting off with the boxed set and then picking up a blister of Molemen and Silurids. What else should I be looking at? Are there any Outcasts that are recommended with Marcus?

Also, I need a quick favor if anyone has the book handy. My rulebook is out on loan and I won't be able to pick it up until Friday evening. What I'd like to know is what suits are needed for the triggers on any spells or abilities from the boxed set models, Molemen, and Silurids. I'm trying to see if I'll be able to make use out of at least three suits if possible. Then, if there are suits unused, are there any other Arcanist or Outcast models that can make good use of those suits? This is mostly for later when I'm building 30 or 35ss lists, but I like to plan ahead and if there's a key model I'll want later on I may as well order it now.

Later on I'll probably pick up a second master but in the beginning I want to concentrate on learning one at a time.

Thanks!

The slinger does give a nice ranged option, but I'm not sure he'd really fit with Marcus. Marcus seems all about speed. The beasts are so fast. I'm thinking maybe the December Acolyte might be an interesting fit. With his ability to deploy so far forward he can "keep up" with the beasts. He seems like an excellent assassin with a ranged option.

If you wanted ranged, I would go with real range. Hans. Expensive, but that's serious range. Personally I don't think I would choose an Outcast.

I also don't think I would go with Silurids. Unless you can guarantee that you'll have some water features.

Molemen seem okay but seem kind've slow for the rest of the box.

Hoarcats might work well. They're speedy and do decent damage dependent on their health. With Marcus and Myranda able to heal you should be able to keep it healthy. They also have the nifty spell to sacrifice a Height 1 model, Height 2 with another Hoarcat nearby - with Myranda, you could easily have another Hoarcat nearby.

On a side note, nice to see you over here. I fell so in love with this game that I haven't touched my US and even though I bought a Terran FA fleet and assembled it, I haven't played it once.

I wouldn't worry about suits.

You do need a lot of Masks to make Leap work for several models at a time.

You have to try hard to go wrong picking Beasts for Marcus.

The main thing is they all need to arrive together - Cerberus can keep up with Silurids - Molemen you'll need to hold your faster guys back.

Hoarcats can be very sneaky as they hide behind Height 2 terrain.

They are slower than most of Marcus' stuff, though.

The slinger does give a nice ranged option, but I'm not sure he'd really fit with Marcus. Marcus seems all about speed. The beasts are so fast. I'm thinking maybe the December Acolyte might be an interesting fit. With his ability to deploy so far forward he can "keep up" with the beasts. He seems like an excellent assassin with a ranged option.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check him out. I'd rather stick in-faction than pay the extra soulstone unless the Outcast model is better and he'll work nicely with Rasputina if I expand later. Besides, I'm really not so fond of the Gunslinger model anyhow :)

I also don't think I would go with Silurids. Unless you can guarantee that you'll have some water features.

Well, looking in other Marcus threads a lot of people seem to run three Silurids with him. I agree that one Silurid is a bad idea. Two is somewhat risky. Three though shouldn't run into water trouble until late in the game if at all and play to his strength of high speed, or so it seems to me. Also, unless I'm mistaken the rules say that you get to see the board before constructing your list so you'll know if there's water ahead of time.

Molemen seem okay but seem kind've slow for the rest of the box.

They offer fantastic armor though to use with his Protect Me ability. I may not always use them, but they seem like a popular option and they're pretty cheap.

Hoarcats might work well. They're speedy and do decent damage dependent on their health. With Marcus and Myranda able to heal you should be able to keep it healthy. They also have the nifty spell to sacrifice a Height 1 model, Height 2 with another Hoarcat nearby - with Myranda, you could easily have another Hoarcat nearby.

I'd seen several Hoarcat lists with Marcus as well as with Rasputina. I need to get a better look at their stats and find out whether consuming an enemy model is their main use or whether they can fight decently without relying on the same trick all the time. If they seem decent I'll add a couple packs to my shopping list.

a side note, nice to see you over here. I fell so in love with this game that I haven't touched my US and even though I bought a Terran FA fleet and assembled it, I haven't played it once.

I haven't played much Firestorm lately, but that's mostly because I'm concentrating on Uncharted Seas. We just ran our first tournament which was pretty successful with 10 people showing. Actually, a few bailed at the last minute, we could easily have gotten up to around 15.

I wouldn't worry about suits.

You do need a lot of Masks to make Leap work for several models at a time.

OK. I was just trying to maximize my card usage, but it may not be that big a deal after all.

You have to try hard to go wrong picking Beasts for Marcus.

The main thing is they all need to arrive together - Cerberus can keep up with Silurids - Molemen you'll need to hold your faster guys back.

Hoarcats can be very sneaky as they hide behind Height 2 terrain. They are slower than most of Marcus' stuff, though.

Good point. Faster beasts might get sent on longer routes to flank the enemy, or just hold up a bit if something slower needs to get into position.

Overall, I'm planning to buy more models than I expect to run at once. This will let me vary my lists and try out different combinations. Sometimes I may run Molemen for a tougher armored Marcus that fights in melee. Other times he'll mostly be support while I rush with faster beasts or try to leverage Hoarcats into eating stuff. That's more fun to me than running the same thing all the time.

Thanks for all the tips so far. I'll be able to discuss things in more detail once I can get my book back :)

I'd seen several Hoarcat lists with Marcus as well as with Rasputina. I need to get a better look at their stats and find out whether consuming an enemy model is their main use or whether they can fight decently without relying on the same trick all the time. If they seem decent I'll add a couple packs to my shopping list.

They are good on paper but I haven't done amazing things with them yet.

They can certainly fight hard, especially if you can heal them to full for the plus damage flip. Devour you need a high Crow and you just can't control that, great late in a round with your opponent's hand empty.

Yeah, I just bought and built my Marcus box. I forgot that the Silurids don't take damage close to each other either. I took a closer look at them and yeah they do seem cool.

Good point about the Molemen armor, but still very slow.

The Hoarcats are not just good for devour, with decent health they hit pretty hard, especially against foes without armor. The Devour ability is just a neat trick that's there if you can pull it off.

Take a look at the Waldgeist also. It seems a tricky little thing that can move its own cover with it - and not too expensive. It's got fair speed as well.

Yeah, I just bought and built my Marcus box. I forgot that the Silurids don't take damage close to each other either. I took a closer look at them and yeah they do seem cool.

Good point about the Molemen armor, but still very slow.

The Hoarcats are not just good for devour, with decent health they hit pretty hard, especially against foes without armor. The Devour ability is just a neat trick that's there if you can pull it off.

Take a look at the Waldgeist also. It seems a tricky little thing that can move its own cover with it - and not too expensive. It's got fair speed as well.

If their speed ends up being an issue I may only take one Moleman, who will be my dedicated armor guy. He's only 3 points and a decent fighter for the price, I think at least some of the time I'll want one. Plus, I think he can stay underground so even if he's slow he won't get shot up on the way to battle.

I hadn't looked that closely at the Waldgeist yet, partly because there is no model or preview of one yet. I'll check him out though. Maybe I can find something to use as a reasonable proxy for now. Mobile cover would be nice to have against those dang Guildies.

I'm probably going to swing by the LGS and pick up the boxed set today, and wait for the weekend to figure out what I want to order for extras (I don't think they have any of the stuff I'm looking at in stock right now).