Custom Minion: Jericho

Foxhound7

This is the stat card I whipped up for the main character from my short story. The link below is for the story. Let me know what you guys think!

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10109

Jericho-Minion

Soulstone Cost: 9

Mercenary, Unique

WK/CG: 5/8

HT: 2

WP: 5

CA: 5(Rams)

DF: 6

WD: 8

PISTOL WHIP

RG 1

CB 6 (Rams)

DG 1/1/2

PAIRED REVOLVERS

RG 10

CB 6

DG 2/3/5

TALENTS

Abilities

Bulletproof 2

Gunfighter: This model may make melee Strikes up to 2” away with its ranged weapon. The weapon gains the melee type when making these attacks.

Hard to Wound 1

Slow to Die

Actions

(0) Nothing to Lose: This model receives +2 Cb and –2 Df until the closing phase.

(2) Rapid Fire

Triggers

Cb(Rams) Critical Strike: Paired Revolvers

Cb(Masks) Down for the Count: When damaging defender with a Pistol Whip Strike, defender must win a WP > 12 Duel or receive Paralyzed until the closing phase.

SPELLS

(1) Whiskey Bomb

(CC: 14 (Rams x2) / Rst: Df / Rg: 6) Dg 3/4(Blast)/5(Blast)

(1) Feet Like Lightning

(CC: 12 (Rams) / Rst: - / C) This model moves its Wk per Ram in its casting cost.

(1) Gun Like Thunder

(CC: 12 (Rams) / Rst: - / C) This model immediately makes a Paired Revolvers Strike. The damage flip receives [+][+][+].

Like the idea behind this, (although Ive not read the backstory yet)

Gunfighter: This model may make melee Strikes up to 2” away with its ranged weapon. The weapon gains the melee type when making these attacks.

This is quite evil when combined with paired weapons, but I can see it fits with the character you are trying to create.

Cb(Masks) Down for the Count: When damaging defender with a Pistol Whip Strike, defender must win a WP > 12 Duel or receive Paralyzed until the closing phase

This seems quite strong for a Trigger, especially as you wont be saving high masks for anything else. Maybe make them slow, or drop the difficulty on the Wp duel.

(1) Whiskey Bomb

(CC: 14 (Rams x2) / Rst: Df / Rg: 6) Dg 3/4(Blast)/5(Blast)

Again, hefty damage on this - have you made any comparison to other similar 'blast' spells?

(1) Gun Like Thunder

(CC: 12 (Rams) / Rst: - / C) This model immediately makes a Paired Revolvers Strike. The damage flip receives [+][+][+].

So for a 7 rams or better, which cannot be resisted, you get triple positive - that really is too much. Maybe shorten the range as I imagine it to be when he goes haywire on someone, which would not be as accurate at normal/long range. It would then be a choice between this for single target attack or Whisky Bomb for a group shot. maybe duplication since he already has Rapid Fire? How about giving a basic melee attack similar to other shooters, drop Gun Like Thunder and make Pistol Whip a melee spell, incorprating the trigger?

eg (1) Pistol Whip (CC: 12 (Masks) / Rst Df /M1") defender must win a WP > 12 Duel or receive Paralyzed until the closing phase.

At 9ss cost for a merc, he seems much more deadly than Hamelin (without the control element) or possibly even Killjoy? Bulletproof, HTW1 and STD will keep him around against early sniping attempts until he gets within 10"

Sorry if it looks like I've ripped your creation apart, not my intention at all, I really like the idea of 'one-off' characters. So when do you start to sculpt him?

The only real problem I have with it is the Guns Like Thunder, which is simply over powered. The options to fix it would be to make the casting cost significantly higher, to to only make it [+], instead of [+][+][+], or to make it a (2) action. After reading your story, I'd just go with the [+], they're already paired weapons.

A spell with a decently easy cost that I think would fit the character would also be something like...

(0) Us against the World (CC: 12 (Masks) / Rst - /C) Jericho's PAIRED REVOLVERS receive [-], Jericho gains (+2)Ranged Master. until start close phase.

Stats wise it takes away the paired part of paired revolvers, and gives you the chance of twice as many shots, fluff wise it would be him using the two revolvers separately.

Slow to Die

(0) Nothing to Lose: This model receives +2 Cb and –2 Df until the closing phase.

(1) Gun Like Thunder

I think you've got a little too much packed into one place.

With no 0 actions other than nothing to lose, you might as well just up the models CB. Perhaps have as an alternate 0 action - Light the Fuse, this model must make one Whiskey Bomb attack before the start closing phase or take 3 wounds. At least there is a choice to be made in there. This will also eliminate the likelihood of three Whiskey Bomb attacks in a single round (add Light the Fuse as a pre-req to the Whiskey Bomb spell).

Gun Like Thunder is just too easy to get off. Especially with paired pistols. You're basically guarenteeing 6 damage with each shot. With fast (from any number of sources) and Slow to Die... oof. This guy will gun down entire crews. I like Tyrant's suggestion for fixing this one.

Great Fluff! Just needs a bit of a tweak to keep this fellow from being in every list on the table.

Okay, so I took all your comments and made a few changes. Tyrant, I love the Us Against the World spell. It totally fits the character. I upped the SS cost and dropped the whiskey bomb spell. That's now an attack he does when he dies, so I removed Slow to Die, too.

Jericho-Minion

Soulstone Cost: 11

Mercenary, Unique

WK/CG: 5/8

HT: 2

WP: 5

CA: 5(Rams)

DF: 6

WD: 8

PISTOL WHIP

RG 1

CB 6 (Rams)

DG 1/1/2

PAIRED REVOLVERS

RG 10

CB 6

DG 2/3/5

TALENTS

Abilities

Bulletproof 2

Hard to Wound 1

Last Call: When this model dies, make a Whiskey Bomb attack.

WHISKEY BOMB

RG 6

CB 6

DG 3/3(Blast)/4(Blast)

Actions

(2) Rapid Fire

Triggers

Cb(Rams) Critical Strike: Paired Revolvers

Cb(Masks) Down for the Count: When damaging defender with a Pistol Whip Strike, defender must win a WP > 10 Duel or receive Slow until the closing phase.

SPELLS

(0) Us against the World

(CC: 12 (Masks) / Rst - /C) Jericho's PAIRED REVOLVERS receive [-], Jericho gains (+2)Ranged Master. until start close phase

(1) Feet Like Lightning

(CC: 12 (Rams) / Rst: - / C) This model moves its Wk per Ram in its casting cost.

(1) Gun Like Thunder

(CC: 14 (Rams) / Rst: - / C) This model immediately makes a Paired Revolvers Strike. The damage flip receives [+][+].

I really like the changes that you made, bumping up his cost was appropriate, and you seem to have found a good medium for "Guns like Thunder", not to mention that you added in Us against the World. Last Call was a good call too, instead of the slow to die (which I can't put as STD with a straight face.)

Man, now I want to make a custom character for fun. Or I could start working on the entire crew ideas that I've thought up... just for kicks.

The great thing about Malifaux is that it's open to expansion. We can create our own stories and characters and find a place for them in the world. I'd love to whip up a completely new faction, maybe one dedicated to battling Neverborn like Lady Justice and her Death Marshals are dedicated to eradicating the undead. If anybody's up for the challenge, drop me a line, I'd love to collaborate. Maybe we can save Nathan a little work ;)

This seems somewhat balanced for a custom creation. I wouldn't mind playing against this in a non-official capacity (that's a game invite, Ben) as long as I could bring my own creation.

As for the homebrew faction: it's a nice idea, but that would be radically changing such a small world that it starts tearing apart the background. We can talk at length next time we see each other.

-Ian B.

This seems somewhat balanced for a custom creation. I wouldn't mind playing against this in a non-official capacity (that's a game invite, Ben) as long as I could bring my own creation.

As for the homebrew faction: it's a nice idea, but that would be radically changing such a small world that it starts tearing apart the background. We can talk at length next time we see each other.

-Ian B.

Way to forum stalk me buddy lol. I'm gonna be around the Toy Soldier tomorrow if you wanna get a game going.

The only problem I can see if that Pistol Whip isn't really worth it. You've only got Critical Strike on the Paired Pistols, so a Cb 6 :rams on a 1/1/2 weapon with a range of 1 :melee isn't doing anything for you. You've got Cb 6 Paired Pistols with Critical Strike (no suit) at 2/3/5, 10:ranged plus Gunfighter.

While "Down for the Count" is a nice trigger, without a :masks in the stat, that's a huge gamble for me to be taking when I could get a much more reliable outcome from just shooting them with my pistols from another inch away.

Didn't really get into the spells. reading quickly at work, and then needed to type all of that before it left my mind.

It was more of a fluff addition. Originally, the trigger caused Paralyzed, which made up for the lack of twists and damage reduction. Essentially, it was a kick to the nuts and then a follow up wack to the head. As far as needing the suit, it's one of those things you'd cheat. His ranged/gunfighter attacks are definitely adequate, but it's nice to know you can paralyze a troublesome model with that 13 of Masks in your hand lol.

Oh, I have no problems with that. I just didn't see the point of including a suit there if it was unconnected to anything he could do. I could see the :rams being on his Paired Pistols, or the :masks on the Pistol Whip. That's all I was trying to say, albeit in a very long-winded, overly critical manner.