Brand new to the game! little help?

KaspaV

Ok so i'm looking to start playing this game and am gonna buy two crew started packs Neverborn and Arcanists.

With neverborn i made my choice on the pandora box but

With my arcanist selection i'm mixed up between two crews:

Order of the Chimera and The Cult of December.

I love the models in both crews and i'm leaning toward December, however i've seen many post on here that says Dec. isn't all that good. And it seems Marcus and his lot are decent.

What are the pro's and con's of each crew that people have seen playing them?

I just want some information on the two crews before i spend my money, yes eventually i will have both but i can only buy one and need to choose. thanks

Contrary to what you're heard I've had alot of success with the Cult of December. I think it's one of the best starting forces due to it's simplicity and it can be pretty strong against other factions and lists as well.

Rasputina with the Essence of Power GUNS on people. Decembers Curse with Overpower and Essence means pretty much anything dies that she shoots at. Her 0 damaging spell is good as well. She also has Ice Pillars and the freeze terrain 0 so you can manipulate objectives as you please. Her minions are pretty cool too, with Subzero and Bite of Winter being the two standout abilities and the armor/shatter is good too.

I was not at all impressed with Marcus. He needs to cheat to have his Wild heart/heal be effective, he's not very impressive defensively, and sure he kicks ass offensively but really it's not enough to declare him elite. Tina probably has better damage output then Marcus and she is ranged whereas he is melee, and she has the support spells to help. His minions I wasn't overall impressed with either. The Cerebus is a huge risk because of its heads getting chopped off, the Rattler is fast but has low base damage but still is pretty good. His best units are the Molemen who are absolute tanks as long as your opponent isn't playing something that ignores armor. Still the Silurids are probably your best bet but hey its up to you to find a combo that works for you.

I'm a Ramos / Tina player myself.

My only objection to her starter box is I usually don't need more than 1 Golem and 1 Gamin.

The others points may as well be spent on melee monsters that can heal demselves - two Arachnid Swarms worked fantastically last game and I'm testing Hoar Cat Prides next.

Remember she can channel Biting Chill through the Golem, too - it can even be cast in combats as it has no th:range

Be careful what you engage in melee - it won't be easy to target with December's Curse which is your main nuke.

I haven't tried out Marcus or many of his beasts, am loving Ramos though. Planning to pick up Marcus just to complete the Arcanist crews.

Be careful what you engage in melee - it won't be easy to target with December's Curse which is your main nuke.

This is where the extra Gamin come in. My favorite thing to do is to blast December's Curse into a combat with my own guy. If I can hit their model it's nice, but if I can hit mine, I can cheat his defence low to get blast damage and then watch him explode when he dies.

I haven't tested the Hoar Cat Prides yet.

They are nice because they can heal themselves (and Tina can't heal anyone!), but then so can Arachnid Swarms.

They also lack synergy as the Devour ability is good for dealing with Hordes and so is December's Curse.

Watching your cards closely and whipping out a Height 2 Devour sounds like gold, though.

Just depends if your opponent sees you hordeing that card.

I've got all three masters and by far my favorite is Tina. Her Biting Chill and Decembers Curse combo is ridiculous at killing fairly hard to kill models. Just run a gamin up first and pop Bite of Winter, run Tina up and her Biting Chill is now 3Dg when it hits, and with it needing 9s to pull off with a decent hand or a few soulstones the target should be at 1 Wd fairly shortly. Then all you have to do is hit with either Decembers Curse or her melee attack to kill off just about anything. Personally, I've taken down 2 Steamborgs, an Excutioner, 3 or 4 spider swarms, a mature nephilim, Nino and Fransisco Ortega, and I'm sure the list is longer, just with Biting Chill and Decembers Curse.

With Ramos, I tend to field him if I see a scrap pile on the field anywhere near my starting area, simply for the amount of spiders he can pump out. His electrical creation is devastating to models that group together without alot of wounds, and his defensive power with Counterspell and Armor 2 is nothing to scoff at, even if he has a 2 Df. When I run Ramos I look for a scrap pile and if I have one, I add Rusty Alyce to the list almost immediately, and the two of them pump out spiders and abominations for the first few rounds to get an extra swarm and a desolation engine. Once those are done, Alyce and Ramos use their ranges abilities to clear the way for the engine, new swarm, and whatever else you have on the team (another swarm and the steamborg are favorites of mine)

As for Marcus, the one thing I can say about him is he is FAST. His wild heart can give him many abilities, but one of the better is the one that makes his Wk equal to his Cg. His ability to (with the right cards, that is) take control of an enemy model has landed Papa Loco right in front of Perdita for a devastating explosion, and also had a Joss turn against his Ramos master and put some hurt on him. Honestly, of the three masters, he is my least favorite, but he can still pack a punch.

To hijack the thread (but only a tiny bit), I'm looking at adding some more models to my Tina starter. Is Acolyte, Wendigo and a hoarcat or two good idea? The Acolyte for suprise speargun in the back and maybe to later pull the target closer so the golem/Tina can blast him without spending orders to move, the hoarcats to add some decent and fast CC to the list(or as general nuisance), and the wendigo because it's cool looking and another unit with..well, not strong, but semi-decent CC against weaker units.

Poko, the Wendigo is pretty lame next to an Essence of Power.

He could do okay helping out Tina in melee, but seriously, if Biting Chill doesn't do it he's not that useful.

Positive flips on all spells is just fantastic for Tina.

I'm using the little flame guy out of the flame base pack as a proxy atm.

I haven't taken my three Hoarcats for a walk yet but will be reporting results once I have. Also using a Sabretooth for treasure token stealing goodness. I'm a little concerned the Hoarcats will be killed before they do much with their 6 Wd.

I would not discount Arachnid swarms for Tina, self-healing with potential armour 3 is fantastic.

Also think about keeping the Golem on tables with a lot of Height 1 and 2 terrain to get line of sight. He is a great melee trap with Sub Zero, too.

I also prefer the Essence of Power over my Wendigo. That being said, if I'm running a Cerberus (a great model for adding speed and flexibility to achieve scenario objectives) I sometimes run the Wendigo with it, to provide December's Touch.

As far as the Acolyte, the errata to his special deployment induced me to pick up a Convict Gunslinger, which has been seeing far more use than my Acolyte. Too many Strategies eliminate the ability or practicality of his deployment rule, which is the main reason I picked him up to begin with (I wasn't too hot on the picture, although the model does look better in person). Perhaps in a 40-50 SS game on a larger table I'd use him again, but from a pure ranged power perspective, I prefer the Gunslinger hands down.