Circus/Carnivale terrain questions

Ronin Gargoyle

I was thinking of making some circus/carnivale themed terrain, something along the lines of the Carnivale tv series and or Something Wicked This Way Comes. Not really evil but sinister and weather worn.

I figure the tents would have a central pillar(s), but I don't know how to make it not look like a teepee. How do you make tent walls?

Also, any suggestions on how to make a ferris wheel.

What else should be there?

I would start with a sturdy base (recommend MDF), glue on your central pole and support poles in a circular or square pattern (recommend balsa wood dowels, center should be thicker), Run some jute or hemp cord from the support poles to the central pole (leave it a bit slack), now for the tricky part thin some glue (recommend Carpenters) and place it in one of those disposable paint trays.

For the last part you can use either paper towel (which draps a bit more naturally but isn't as durable) or the thinest cloth you can get (not quite as natural but far more durable, old cotton T-shirts work great for this). All you do is soak the papertowel or cloth in the thinned glue and drap it over the tent supports. Cut your entries while it is wet. Let it dry, then go back and paint it with the thinned down glue until it is hard enough for your liking.

Paint on bright guady colors (strips work well), wash with thinned black/dark brown paint (though tea also works).

Add some tent stakes (1/2" tall balsa wood dowels with the tops lightly hammered) to the perimeter (two per pole is about right) and add some jute or hemp cord as guy lines.

If you are really ambitious you could make the tent it self removable so you could play inside (just put some of that clear plastic cooking wrap over the poles before you drap the paper towel or cloth)

Edited by Omenbringer

I usually use tinfoil for draping fabric. It has the added benefit of responding well to having multiple layers applied. This greatly increases the strength of the fabric material. Also, since it is a malleable material you can apply it flat and then message it into the shape you want. You can do away with the string if you don't intend for the tent to be open. Just some thick card cut to a profile of the tent will do just fine. Set them up in a hexagonal or octagonal pattern and then apply the tinfoil. Be sure that you use tinfoil right off the roll though and keep it wrinkle free or it will look like garbage.

I'm not the person to ask about making a ferris wheel. If I did it would work, light up and randomly drop people out of it. (Malifaux right?)

If you REALLY want to do something like that let me know and I'll shoot you some ideas and drawings. (EL lighting would work great around the perimeter! And you could use an intermittent barrel connector to distribute power so that the lights go on and off! OOO!)

@TBK

I'm not sure how "flashy" the ferris wheel should be. I'm not to sure where technology is in Malifaux. I know that Ramos can use electricity, but what of the rest of the population. I was thinking that the technological was maybe about U.S. Civil War era. That's why I going for wagons for the performers. It would also seem to mean that my ferris wheel should be crank driven (a couple of big sweaty guys turning the cranks?)

But I would like to see your plans for the ferris wheel tho.

Thanks