Marcus vs. McMourning

mbowsher76

Arcanists vs. Ressurectionists

So, my son and I got in another game last night. Since my Rasputina and Gaimin are on the painting table I decided to give Marcus another run and give Joss a try for the first time (have had him since Gencon).

Arcanists:

Marcus

Myranda

Joss

Sabretooth

Rattler

Strategy: Treasure Hunt

Schemes: Bodyguard (Marcus) announced, Sabotage (open grave terrain piece on his side of table)

8 Soulstones

Ressurectionists:

McMourning

Sebastian

Flesh Construct

Zombie Chihuahua

2 Nurses

3 Necropunks

Strategy: Assassinate

Schemes: Bodyguard (McMourning) announced, Army of the Dead

6 Soulstones and 2 Body part counters

We setup a graveyard style board (again) with lots of graves and a few trees surrounded by fences. We got diagonal deployment and he won iniative.

Turn 1: This mostly consisted of moving up. McMourning summoned a Canine Remains which moved forward. My Rattler was the furthest towards him and at the end of the turn the Flesh Construct got his free move towards the Rattler.

Turn 2” Rez wins initiative again. His Flesh Contruct takes a nice hearty swing at my Rattler getting Severe damage and bringing it down to 2 Wd. I activate Myranda who moves up, puts companion on the Rattler and then casts Primal Flame on the Rattler to get a 2 HP healing flip. The Rattler attacks the Flesh Construct twice, first time doing nothing (due to Hard to Wound 2) the second time doing 2 Dg. He activates and moves McMourning forward and attempts to sling his scalpel into the Rattler…he makes his WP check and then we draw to see who is hit….he hits his Flesh Constuct! He does the duel and even with hard to wound 2 and a negative twist due to the low success on the hit…he flips 4 severe cards in a row!! He does I believe 3 Dg to the Construct. My Sabretooth leaps successfully into combat with McMourning, the construct and the Canine Remains. First bite attack on the remains kills it. Next two are on the construct and finishes that off. His nurses slowly move up. His Necropunks all leap and then move up getting two into melee with the Sabretooth (though using all actions to get there). Rest just move though Marcus tries to use Feral (I believe) to make McMourning a beast. I succeed but then fail to cast Alpha on McMourning.

Turn 3: I finally win initiative. My rattler attacks McMourning for a couple points of damage and with the trigger moves to the middle near the treasure token. McMourning attempts to cast Rancid Transplant on Joss (giving him easy to wound 2) but I had a 13 of crows in my hand and needed exactly that to resist the spell (phew). He casts another spell doing a couple Dg to Joss. Joss activates and charges McMourning (using 2 power tokens for overload and taking two wounds). He hits McMourning for 5 dmg. He activates again (due to overload – not sure we played that right, not sure he gets his reactivation immediately). And brought McMourning town to 2 HP (he burned a couple soulstones to prevent a lot of additional damage). He moves Sebastian towards the rattler. Marcus activates and casts Feral on Joss (making him a beast) and then casts the spell to heal him (bring him back to 5 HP from 2). He also made Myranda his companion. Mryanda moves forward and uses the healing spell on Joss to bring him back to full health. The Tiger was slow due to the two Necropunks in melee range. He attacks and kills one and his other two attacks cause McMourning to burn a couple more soul stones to stay alive. His Nurses move forward and give Armor 1 to the two remaining Necropunks. Everything else just moves.

Turn 4: He wins initiative and forgets to activate McMourning first (who could have attacked the Sabretooth and healed as he did damage) and activates the first Nurse (to try to attack the Rattler). The Nurse fails the terror test and falls back. Joss activates, uses overload and kills McMourning (first attack dmg was prevented due to soulstone, second soulstone could not prevent all the damage). Joss reactivated and killed the two necro punks that were holding up the Sabretooth. His other nurse goes after the Rattler and also fails terror test and runs. My Sabretooth leaps to the other side of Sebastian.

At this point we called it. It was dinner time and my son only had Sebastian and two fleeing nurses left.

I am sure I forgot a few details but it was a good game. My son is really trying to get a feel for how to run McMourning (aggressive without getting him killed quickly) and really had me in the numbers game for a while.

All in all a great time and Joss was the MVP of the game, very cool model with awesome damage potential.