Hockey? anyone?

EricJ

MONTREAL.

Are you guys insane? The man that not only got you in the conference finals but stoned Ovey and Crysby and you decide to let him go. . .for two minor leaguers?

What is wrong with you guys, trying to take over the Detroit title of stupid Goalie moves? Well. . . you did.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry. was growing back finger nails and hair.

buff, eager, and sopes gone. sad. interesting to see who they pick up tomorrow. sopes is the man and that one bothers me the most.

and was the awards show not perfectly awkward?

is it october yet?

Edited by Pipeline

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't matter if they did...the unfortunate reality is that Tallon severely hamstrung them cap-wise I am pretty sure they were about 1 injury from being where Calgary was.

I grabbed this off of Globe and Mail, "According to capgeek.com’s archives, Chicago finished 2009-10 with less than $300,000 in available space under the cap – before bonuses are added in. The only two Blackhawks regulars with bonuses on their contracts this season were Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, who had a combined $5-million of them available. We heard yesterday from TSN’s James Duthie that Toews earned a $1.3-million bonus for winning the Conn Smythe Trophy, which puts Chicago over the cap at least $1-million.

What wasn’t revealed was the fact that both players hit all of their entry-level bonuses this season, meaning an extra $5-million in addition to their base salaries against the cap. It’s exceptionally complicated to calculate exactly how far over the Blackhawks now are, but in looking at the numbers and talking to a few people today, I believe it to be about $4-million.

Teams are only allowed to exceed the salary cap due to bonuses and long-term injury exemptions and only then by a maximum of 7.5 per cent. Chicago came very, very close to that mark this season."

Judging by his small-gain strategy that he seems to be employing in Florida, I think he has learned his lesson ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Makes Sense. God Forbid we have a dynasty. . . .or a team that can repeat. . .like the Wings did by? Say it with me kids, ACCEPTING LESS MONEY !

Novel idea in sports.

Nick Lidstrom took less this year to get and keep some guys. . .must be the "C" on the Winged Wheel Sweater.

Hockey has always been my favorite sport. Played roller hockey in various leagues for 7 years growing up.

Unfortunately I don't keep up with the sport. I'm a Kings fan by default. Being in southern California I have much love for the great Wayne Gretzky and he has done so much for SoCal by putting up Hockey rinks and such.

I think I'll be waiting a while for my Kings but at least I have my Lakers.

I find it to be encouraging that the Washington Post is doing a good job covering the Cap's off-season. It's a good sign for the sport in general, and particularly for hockey in DC, that the local media is covering it as much as they are. It used to be that Caps coverage ended after the Pens knocked them out of the playoffs in April/May. Now it's late July and things are going strong.

ddot. . .IF? IF This thread is around in October?

IF!??!?!?

Hockey is the official sport of Wyrd, that is almost like saying if Wyrd is around in October! Of course real hockey fans do not fade away.

And up here in God's country we used to get the same story every year. . .Will the Red Wings be back to Traverse City for Training camp? Will they have the 5-6 team prospects back? Well they are ripping the ice facility apart and expanding to include TWO NHL size locker rooms and a private Red Wing Fitness facility above. . .I would say it is safe to bet the Red Wings and the Prospects will back in TVC for a looong time.

I love to watch the prospects, and see the coaching and scouting staff of the teams. . .and let them know we KNOW hockey here and can see talent.

And make them mad when we say stuff like Gretzky? The greatest ever?

NAW, Lemieux was the greatest ever. . .and we are not Pens fans!

Sadly, I agree with you. The fans want to see the guys from '98 on the ice but don't like losing in 2010.

And Modano may have 2 years left, but for what? To play the third line?

Modano: He may well have more than that, but he passed his prime before the strike.

There are a lot of older players still playing at a high level. For a player like Modano, who relied a lot on sheer speed, old age is going to be a killer.