Perdita's Crew and Companion

Sobek

Can a model activated by the Companion ability use Companion to activate yet another model? The book doesn't say you can't, but this would mean that you could activate Perdita's entire crew at the same time if you wanted to, which seems a bit strong.

Yep, there is no limit with Companion, so the Ortega's can activate all at once.

It's been nicknamed the Alpha Strike.

It can be a huge bonus but its very situational. Remember you need to be within 6" of each other to do it. Plus if you do it every turn you just end up playing a you go, I go game(like 40K or Warmachine).

But that can be nasty! You could wipe out a huge portion of your opponents force in one turn, leaving them a few models to go back with.

You can, or you could end up with a pretty piss poor round of flips. You also give your opponent the ability to react to what you've done, and leave yourself no wiggle room.

I only use the full family activation once or twice in a game, preferring to use 2 or 3 in a group to leave me reaction options.

Also its worth mentioning that you can't do a full family activation unless you are within 6" of each other. So it becomes harder to do later in the game unless you clump your Ortega's together. Which makes them susceptible to blast damage and area effects.

Its an awesome ability but it takes practice to really get use to when to use it and when not to.

Not really. On a 3'x'3 board, the five Ortegas can form a chain 24" long. Now that's the extreme example and probably not likely. But it's feasible to say that each model is between 4"-6" away. That's still a 16" chain, which is frankly pretty realistic.

I'll admit I haven't played many games, but it seems to me that models go in clumps, where they're usually within 6" of a model in another clump. I only played the Ortegas once, but the time I did I found myself activating like 2-3 models at a time instead of the entire Alpha Strike. Still that was devastating enough.

True but the Ortega's have very different play styles which lend them to different parts of the board. So really is Nino anywhere near anyone else. I keep Papa Loco well away from the rest of the crew for my own safety.

Like you said I generally have two or three close enough to pull it off. Its still devasting but those rare whole family curb stomps are fun to see.

Again, I only played one game, so not the greatest sample size. But I can see the Ortegas turtling against some of the bashy armies out their and then rushing forward in the later turns if the need the center of the turn. In that case, it's possible that Nino is in range of somebody.

But yeah, at best you're "only" going to get 3-4 of them. :P:

Of course, I also only keep Loco close for the first turn or two of movement. then he gets to run out and do what he does best. :D

Which, according the current understanding of the rules, is not voluntarily blowing himself up... :tongue1:

:tj:

(Yep, I'm on this train. I have a friend who can translate Latin. I will pull a Cato the Elder on this one! :vb_tongue )

Which, according the current understanding of the rules, is not voluntarily blowing himself up... :tongue1:

haha.. he is actually MUCH more dangerous with the "Take ya'll with me" then he is when he dies and blows up. I like to run out in the middle of the enemy, "Take ya'll with me" then have another of my models shoot and kill him for the mini-explosion.

:)

• 4 weeks later...