Paper Terrain

Evil Homer

Not sure what the railroaders are using, but this is basically the same material that is used in plumbing, just in sheet form. You should be able to get it from any arthouse or sign shop. You may be able to get it from a plastics company, but they tend to be wholesale only. PVC cuts a little easier then gator board, but not much, and it is best to have a sturdy box knife and a good heavy edge.

I do have a follow up, as I have been considering trying some of this out (once my mat card stock is used up), how well does it hold paper glued on with regular glue (so the low water stuff). Does it require any form of special glue to work with paper?

I have used 3m spray glue, which I do not like but it does work, and a paperless tape. I doubt you can get your hands on the paperless tape, at least in the sizes where it would not be a pain in the but. If you get the PVC from an arthouse you may ask to see if they will prep the board with the paperless tape and how much they would charge for it. If they want to charge more then $2 per square foot they are asking too much.

• 3 weeks later...

I know of a computer'game' where you could design your own medieval cities (incluiding siege engines, whole castles and villages), and after that you could print it, and put it together.. Does anybody know what this program is called? Otherwise I'd look it up, and see if it's the right scale,, if it is, it'd be ideal for making cheap paper terrain!