Of Guild Crews

Zee

I think that because of the amazing anti-*insert faction here* abilities that the Guild has, I was thinking that a good mix of the battlebox models would be better than just an all out one or the other.

Here's what I had in mind.

Either Sonnia or Lady J

3 x Witchlings

3 x Death Marshals

In either case, I have 5 ss on the Master, which isn't a bad choice. The DMs will run around in a group, doing their long range thing while the Stalkers go after their casters in separate sections, so as to now blow each other up. Depending on the opposition, obviously, you could go with either Lady or Sonnia. Personally, I like Sonnia a little more right now, but I'm sure with play time I would see Lady J as more my style. I just love her Absorb magic and counterspell abilities though :)

What do you guys think? I know there's no big name hitters in the Minion selection, but going higher from 25 [to say 35], I'd probably add an Executioner/Judge, depending on how I'm feeling.

Yeah, overspecialization is what I'm afraid of. If you take Lady Justice you have 25% chance of fighting against Resurrectionists, but that leaves you with 75% against other teams (leaving Guild-Guild clashes out of it). How does Guild cope in competetive play when matched not with their favourite pray? I know it all depends on the player, but let's imagine a situation with two players of ideally equal skill.

Yeah, overspecialization is what I'm afraid of. If you take Lady Justice you have 25% chance of fighting against Resurrectionists, but that leaves you with 75% against other teams (leaving Guild-Guild clashes out of it). How does Guild cope in competitive play when matched not with their favourite prey? I know it all depends on the player, but let's imagine a situation with two players of ideally equal skill.

The Guild's knack for direct damage is useful no matter which faction you play against. )i.e. the Ortegas are geared to fight Neverborn, but function quite well against the Arcanists.) The only real benefit specialization gets you is it becomes easier for new players to figure out a winning strategy when fighting their "favored opponent."

Yeah, overspecialization is what I'm afraid of. If you take Lady Justice you have 25% chance of fighting against Resurrectionists, but that leaves you with 75% against other teams (leaving Guild-Guild clashes out of it). How does Guild cope in competetive play when matched not with their favourite pray? I know it all depends on the player, but let's imagine a situation with two players of ideally equal skill.

This is why I'm a fan of balanced lists. It's annoying to have such clear cut good and not so good matchups that Guild theme armies create. I mean, Sonnia Criid loses a lot of effectiveness if your enemy is running a non-spellcaster list, doubly so if you run her box. It's not insurmountable by any means but in my mind it's best to not specialize in a tournament situation. The Guild stuff is good enough to hold it's own, even without the faction buffs.

Honestly its not that big of deal. Guild specialties are nice but they hold there own overall against the other lists. They just do a little better against there chosen prey.

I think Lady J is just fine against other crews. Get her up into combat with something small. Kill it and your death M's within 10" have a CB of 7!

Personally, that's why I was going for a little bit of both. The DMs have decent ranged combat, and the Stalkers can go mano e mano with a 5-6 wound model, win or lose they put a lot of hurting/killing on there.

I also gain the added ability of having a foil for half the factions out there.

• 1 month later...

I like it, and it was similar to a list build i was coming up with sonnia. The only difference is that i dropped a marshal and a witchling for Sammael, who, in my estimation, is ri-goddamn-diculously good for the points.

Nothing is more anti-factional than straight up ass tons of flaming bullet damage. :)

-- haight

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the more i use Sonnia the more I feel vindicated in my decision of picking her as my start into the Guild. My reasoning was that though she specializes against Arcanists that just about EVERY miniature has some sort of spell.

I have been using her "violation of magic" on my own troops more than the enemy. If i have a rather beat up witchling stalker, I cast violation let him pop do 2 damage to the enemy. Spawn another witchling within melee and take a swing to cause more damage. Use the withcinling stalkers' pulse to stop the enemy from casting "leap" or other push/movement spells to leave combat or try to outrun me.

Granted most of my experience is stemmed from 2-3 weeks of frantic playing and doing "starter box plus" games (20-25ss). I am defintely throwing my vote into just because certain sub-factions specialize in one thing doesn't mean they cannot battle others with good effect. Hell most of guild has critical strike and adding an extra damage to melee strikes isn't bad at all.

That sounds like a pretty crazy combo. Does it really work that way?

If you cast violation of magic on your own witchling stalker, you would still have to work around Magic Resistant 2. Plus, the stalker's Ca is 5, so violation of magic would only deal 1 Wound and get prevented... Right?

(edit: read it one more time, sounds like it would reduce the spell damage by 2 to a minimum of 1. So I guess if 1 wound was all you need, it would work)

Edited by Slinkdawg
looked at the rule 1 more time

yup, also it only ever does additional damage IF stalkers had a CA higher than 5... which they don't so it does the minimum one damage. You would be surprised how many times I have witchlings with just 1 damage left, it is quite nifty.

In theory if an executioner has 1 wound and is in combat with somebody you can also do it to him. Trigger his slow to die for that extra swing either A) killing the opponent and healing all damage and NOT dying. B) he dies witchling pops out does another attack. Either way quite useful.

any other combos people have thought up of?